Shower over tub - waterproof tanking tape help

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Crumbs, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Hi i am in the process of re tiling the bathroom and want to tank the bathroom due to the grout failing last time. I bought the aquaseal waterproofing kit and after opening it, the tape is quite wide and dense.

When tanking it was my belief that you apply the tape to any gaps / joints / pipes and including the gap between the bath and the wall but due to the way the tape looked i couldnt picture how it would work. Upon calling everbuild to check its suitable, he tells me you dont use tape where the bath meets the wall? :eek:

Does anyone have experience with tanking bathrooms that can help, is the tape applied in that area around the bath tub? I was considering buying the mapei kit that specifies for over a tub.

Much appreciated ;)

2. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

I've not used the aquaseal kit, so don't know what the tape is like. I always use the Mapei kit (used to use the BAL kit). It's a rubberised tape with the Mapei, but not very dense, and I always lip it onto the bath (otherwise whats the point?)

3. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Hi Crumbs, Mrs Mac wanted a shower in the bathroom. "Nae bother leave it to me I said". Now don't know if you know, am a bit of a lazy b. So I wasn't gonna be tiling and all that mess.
    Bathroom lay out simple, walk in, chod in front of you, basin to the right of the chod, bath up the length of the wall to your right behind the door.
    Cut a sheet of white wet wall to fit to the bath edge and ceiling, stixxall holds well, (middle of the bath to save doing anything fancy in the corner) silicone bead seals all round, nice bit of plastic trim down both exposed sides (siliconed on), oval shaped curtain rail into the wall through the wet wall, curtain wraps around. Bath tap had a shower in a cradle on top, longer shower hose fitted and hung on new slide rail, clip on a new shower curtain and bosh feet up with a bottle of beer, and that strange wining noise had stopped........ but then started again coz the grass was needing cut.........of to the shed for a bit of piece.....

Requires - wet wall sheet(s)
    shower rail and fixings
    shower curtain and fixings
    slide rail
    shower hose (long)
    stixxal
    silicone

Hope this helps as an alternative to tiling :)

4. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Thanks Stevie, well I thought that when they told me it wasn't needed, he said silicone is sufficient?
    Problem is having the tape visible, it would be quite a small amount of it so its not visible past the tiles?. If its just a little bit then also could that not easily dislodge with bath movement? No where can I find any evidence to suggest to use it around the bath and the supplier tells me not too, maybe I was wrong to think its the norm.

thanks Mr Mac, made me laugh bud, know that wining sound all to well haha, i am a novice and wouldn't be able to do that - got all the bits now anyways for what I am trying to achieve :confused:

5. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

I use it to lip onto the bath as thats the correct way to do it on a shower tray, so I don't see a difference. I can tank the area, then I'm not relying on any other people, or works to ensure that the area is waterproofed.

I lip it onto the bath about a cm, I've first used masking tape all around the bath, a centimetre in, to keep things getting too messy. Then tank the wall and the centimetre lip of the bath, and stick the tape to it. After tiling I use a sharp stanley knife (and window scraper with a stanley blade) to remove the tape. Just be very careful!

6. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Thanks bud, sounds like a plan.
    Sorry if i am being thick :oops: but you put masking tape all around the bath first for cm in then you lip the tanking tape on for cm?, wouldnt that put the masking tape under the tanking tape? Or is the lip more on the cornor of the bath and the masking tape is after than on the flat part?

Will definently use the tape now, just suprised everbuild advised me not too :mad:

7. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

I'm not sure if the Everbuild tape will be suitable, if its too rigid it could be hard to bend and maintain its shape till stuck...
    When using the masking tape, put it all along the short edge of the bath (but not right up to the corner) and about three quarters (or more if you like) along the long side, this is enough to waterproof the shower. Imagine using a ruler to measure from the wall and onto the side of the bath, for about 1 cm. thats where the line of tape goes. Therefore you have 1 cm of bath showing all around where you're going to tank it. Paint the tanking onto this 1 cm of bath and up the wall about 8 cm, stick the tanking tape onto that. Therefore most of the tape is on the wall and only 1 cm of it is on the bath. Yes, if you're messy you will get some tanking tape and tanking onto the masking tape, but fear not, as this will be removed later with Stanley blades.

8. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Cheers Steve, I get it now - looking at my bath though I don't think its going to work.
    The tape is self adhesive one side and is not rigid, just soft rubber material but just seems a little thicker than the mapei.

Problem is short side the gap looks a little to much, with tile against the wall and addy, the tape to have any good join to the bath would stick out to much and cutting it back would make the joint weak esp with movement. Even on the long side which has a smaller gap, I cant see it being a secure fix as so little of it will be on the bath to stop it being visible. (see 2 photos I uploaded)

Might just have to leave using the tape around the tub and do the rest :mad::mad:

Attached Files:

9. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

Yep, I see what you mean. Unfortunately not every job is perfect, and with that bath so far from the wall, that's where artistic licence needs to be used to overcome a problem. You're correct in that you can only tank the wall and then rely on the silicone thats already there for the waterproofing. I'm sure it will be ok.

10. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Thought as much, thanks matey, will stick with the silcone then. Never had a issue with it before, was more the grout failing furthur up i think (we had mosiac tiles).
    Fingers crossed its ok, not much else i can do i dont think. Thanks for your help :)