Shower Paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by stevepenk, Jun 29, 2008.

1. stevepenk

stevepenk Member

I have a row of 3 tiles high above my bath. I want a shower unit but cannot yet afford it. If I paint the surrounding walls in bath and kitchen paint from one of the sheds will I be able to stand up in the bath to shower letting it get wet? The walls are painted plasterboard and are not skimmed. I will eventually tile but in the meantime can i just paint the walls and treat it like a shower??

2. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

SP I would not have thought it was a good idea,without the walls being skimmed. What about tiling in stages,get a few boxes to cover the main 'wet areas' and buying additional boxes as and when you wish,to spread the cost? You will have to make sure your stockist intends to maintain stocks though :)

It will be interesting in what the pro's think.

3. john gillam

john gillam New Member

DON'T BE SILLY KNOW HOLD A PIECE OF PAINTED PLASTER BOARD UNDER THE TAP U MIGHT WASHY YOU'RE LITTLE TOE

4. stevepenk

stevepenk Member

And again in English please........

5. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

First of all paint is not correct material to use in shower area.

If the plasterboard is new ,then definitely DO NOT SKIM IT! plasterboard with any finishing material will hold up alot less weight per M2e .This will be of importance if you are using heavy tiles such as travertine or granite or marble

Tile adhesive and grout how it is tested for being "WATERPROOF" leaves alot to be desired, too long and boring to explain

The correct way, and we do it all the time in shower areas is to "TANK" it if you are on tight budget then just buy dunlop waterproofing kit available from screwfix and use this on the walls admittedly it wont look pretty but the area will be water tight until you can do the cosmetics and tile the area
    http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79333/Bathrooms/Bathroom-Sealants/Dunlop-Shower-Waterproofing-Kit

6. stevepenk

stevepenk Member

So basically using kitchen and bathroom paint on a plasterboard wall isnt enough to give it a seal against the shower. Many thanks for the detailed reply

Cheers

7. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

Thats correct Steve.Paint for bathrooms and kitchens is good for condesation and as in case of kitchen grease etc.Absolutley no use against powered shower

8. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

Cheers TV - I am doing my bathroom soon and will remember that.

9. strappy

strappy New Member

I have a row of 3 tiles high above my bath. I want a
    shower unit but cannot yet afford it. If I paint the
    surrounding walls in bath and kitchen paint from one
    of the sheds will I be able to stand up in the bath
    to shower letting it get wet? The walls are painted
    plasterboard and are not skimmed. I will eventually
    tile but in the meantime can i just paint the walls
    and treat it like a shower??
    Steve,I fitted shower taps in my old bathroom,same set up as you with the tiles,didn't want to spend time or money as I'm doing the bathroom now,anyway what I done was bought 2 shower curtains and 1 pole, fitted the pole and curtain as normal on the outside of the bath and the other along the wall and round where the taps were,every 3 months we had to take it down and wash it to stop mould but we used the shower everyday for 18 months.

10. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

My pleasure lads,I dont mind helping out at all specially when its about something i know intimately.We do alot of bespoke bathrooms from start to finish so have good knowledge in the field

11. stevepenk

stevepenk Member

Can I ask what tanking is exactly and what is in the kit from Dunlop. Is it a way of waterproiofing the plasterboard wall. Also as I have only plasterboard walls (5 years old) will they hold up tiles OK??

12. T-C

T-C New Member

you may be able to buy some swingpool paint on ebay, this would be ok asa tempary T-C

13. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

The kit from dunlop is for waterproofing a shower.once applied correctly it will make the whole area impervious to water.Thus called "tanking"

Plasterboard bare will hold up more weight ....imagine the weight of M2 of tiles with adhesive then the same board skimmed because now the tiles will be bonded to the plaster skim which in turn is bonded to the board

Normally there is no reason to skim PB which is going to be tiled

14. stevepenk

stevepenk Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply in such detail. I get it now.

MANY thanks

15. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

My pleasure Steve ,its nice to get thank you now and then
    and good luck with your project

16. debst

debst New Member

Hi i have just brought a flat with the same problem plus i have a window that is above the bath ao the shower pole would have to go in the corner i dont know what im doing..please help. I was going to put a shower pole in.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014