Shower problem..

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mike84, May 2, 2016.

1. Mike84

Mike84 New Member

Hi al, first post here hi everyone,

I thought this would be the best place to ask I have 2 problems ..

1. The now tiled walls look great but one side is 5mm out ( no prob) the other side is womb out of plumb, my shower will have a 20 mm adjuster but it is frameless and so needs to be plumb,
    Can I buy any chrome plated adjusters which will give me the 30mm difference ?

2. I have a cast shower base fitted and leak tested, the shower enclosure says I need to drill 2 30mm screws into the base and to only use the base supplied with the shower, I didn't use the sulied base as it was cheap feeling so fitted a cast - if I go slow with a new hiss bit can it be drilled without it shattering?

Thank you all for your help,

Mike

2. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Bathrooms are all about attention to detail and if you've ended up 30mm out on one wall with the tiling then you are 'between a rock and a hard place'. Should have seen and planed ahead there I'm afraid.

I don't know of any chrome adjusters (not saying there are not any). Best bet is to go back to the screen supplier and ask if they do one.

Cast iron can be drilled with a good quality HSS drill bit (never come across hiss bits but they sound good). Google stellite drills, expensive, but better again. Run the drill bit quite fast but without the hammer action!

Lots of typos in your post, all about that attention to detail :)

3. People in glass houses GiF!!

4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

5. Mike84

Mike84 New Member

Thank you for pointing out the spelling mistakes I hate this tablet changes everything :) I'll google the drill bits don't mind the cost as long as it works. Thank you

This is the last room to do, porcelanosa everything but I can't get hold of the chap who did the drywall and tilling plus the shower is now discontinued so to save smashing everything and losing my rag I was hoping their would be something somewhere that would factor in a bigger out of line wall than the usual 20 mm? Initially we thought it was 24mm so I thought I may get away with it but 30mm? Aghhhhhhhh ;)

Think it's drink time!!!

Rulland likes this.
  6. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Well done men - waiting for one of you to spot that one.........
    Oops!

7. Mike84

Mike84 New Member

Bump

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Photos Mike. Is the tray actually cast iron, or stone resin. If latter, it will drill easily with a metal bit. There are always solutions to problems, but the solution may nnot be available 'off the shelf' and may require a bit of ingenuity.

9. Mike84

Mike84 New Member

Hi, it is is stone base I am ok with the drilling but my main issue is now one side of the tiles are out of plum by 30mm and the shower will only adjust by 20 mm.

I have been trying to find some sort of chrome cove or something I can use to fill the gap, an expansion channel but at the minute I am losing out to google so am contemplating putting this shower on e bay and buying another.

This isn't something I want to do but to date I cannot find an extension piece for the side.

Any ideas?

I can get some pics tomorrow if required

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yep post a few pics, usually helps
    Frustrating problem but nearly everything can be solved with a bit of "outside the box" thinking. Also the forum is a great source of ideas

If you have a local metal fabricator, take in the frame channel and see if they can make the same but 10/15 mm wider. Anything custom made costs a bit more but may solve the problem

How about packing out the channel, say 10mm with tile offcuts and adhesive. Allow to dry then screw on channel. Cover edges with chrome quad beading, 12mm I think you can get and silicone on

May think of some more but bedtime now

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I take it that there are wall brackets/extrusions and these slide inside the enclosure? If so, then you could trim down either 'mating part' depending on which way the wall is out. Take the 2 mating parts, hold the wall bracket flat to the wall, then hold the other piece in front of it. With a helper, get this plumb with a spirit level. There will be a gap as you only have 20mm adjustment, but if you tapered it, you could get the extra you need...I think :)

12. Fatsteve

Fatsteve Member

Oh boy... Feel a bodge coming on

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Depends doesn't it...

14. Fatsteve

Fatsteve Member

No not really, will never look square, short cuts always catch up. Tile one wall over tiles again STRAIGHT and moan to observers wall was flamming out a mile otherwise start again and do it righto_O