shower pump installatoin for fully pumped open vented system

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Wookie1977, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Wookie1977

Wookie1977 New Member

Hi
    Please will you be able to advise if is possible to fit a twin impeller positive head shower pump to my hot water and central heating system.
    I have 2 tanks in the loft, no1 is a gravity feed cold water supply, no2 is an open expansion tank for central heating. There are installed hot water cylinder on 1st floor, and boiler on ground floor, also there is a motorised valve, and pump
    Please see diagram attached of my gravity system.
    Thank you system.PNG

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

What are you trying to achieve? More pressure to your shower?

Your heating system is almost totally irrelevant to the process if that is the case apart from the fact its a low pressure system. And its not a gravity system. Its as described a fully pumped system.

The positive head pump (assuming it for the shower) will need to be installed in the airing cupboard with a hot feed from the cylinder using an essex flange and a cold feed from the cold water storage tank. You will then need to run the supplies to the shower.

3. Wookie1977

Wookie1977 New Member

Dave thanks for an answer.
    Yes I need to install positive head pump for the shower as the pressure is really low.
    The hot and cold water are supply from the cylinder and cold water tank are already there under floor, the pipes from cylinder and cold tank supply shower, bath and toilet cistern, please will you be able to let me know what size of pump will be suitable for me, the shower head is 4".

Regards
    Wookie

4. Wookie1977

Wookie1977 New Member

Sorry my mistake please ignore my previous post.
    The cold water is supplied from the cold water storage tank in the loft (the pipes goes from cold water tank in the loft then down and under the floor to the bathroom ), the hot water is supplied from cylinder.( pipe go under the floor and to the bathroom)
    I need to install shower pump as the pressure is really low and it is impossible to take a shower.
    The hot water pipes from cylinder and cold water pipe from tank supply shower, bath and toilet cistern.
    Please will you be able to let me know what size pump is suitable for me, the shower head is 4".

Regards
    Wookie

5. Dave does Gas

You will need to run new pipes specifically for the shower. a 1.5 bar is ususaly fine but if you want a bit more go for a 2 bar.

6. Wookie1977

Wookie1977 New Member

Dave what if there is no possibility to run pipes specifically for shower.
    There is only one line for hot and cold under concrete floor, it supply firstly shower (hot and cold to thermostatic mixer) then toilet cistern (cold) and then bath. (Cold and hot)
    Can all 3 outlets be supplied by shower pump. I do understand that i will have to change cistern valve from low pressure to high pressure.
    Regards
    Wookie

7. Dave does Gas

Its unusual and will be annoying as the pump will activate every time you flush the loo or clean your teeth.
    Thats why their called shower pumps as their designed to incerase shower pressure not the entire bathroom.
    If you want to pressurise the whole bathroom you will need to be looking at a whole house pump.
    Most shower pipework is usually taken from the airing cupboard and to the shower via the loft space.
    You could look at siting it under the bath and running it from there providing your cold to the bath taps is low pressure and not mains.

8. Ianbl

Ianbl New Member

Ok I'm being the devil's advocate here but I would consider fitting an electric shower.
    The latest showers are more powerful than they used to be and will give a good powerful shower.
    Pros- Any number of showers can be taken in succession.
    Not expensive to buy.
    Cons-Need to run 10mm cable protected by RCD and run 15mm mains cold water pipe.
    Shower pump Pros- Supplys power showering.
    Cons-Noisey and wasteful on water and electricity to run pump.

9. Wookie1977

Wookie1977 New Member

Hi again
    I drew a schematics how it look like in the property, the boiler, pump, and motorised valve has to be added to the diagram (as on my first post), also I drew another one as a proposed solution.
    Please will you be able to let me know if the proposed one will boost the pressure via pump and if I can install the pump in this place using a surrey flange (or it has to be a essex flange). I know that the pump will feed the toilet cistern too, but I have no posibility to change the pipe leyout as there are installed in concrete floor.
    I considered to install the power shower but there is no way to run 10mm cable, also both cold and hot water pipes are in the wall

Regards
    Wookie
    existing system.PNG proposed system.PNG

10. Dave does Gas

So why not take the pumped supplies up into the loft and bring them down to feed the shower in chrome pipe

11. Wookie1977

Wookie1977 New Member

Ho Dave
    I really appricieate your help. I thought exacly about the same thing to run new instalation from cylinder cupboard and install pipes on wall in chrome. The problem is I would like to have all pipes hidden in the wall, the bathroom has been refurbished not so long ago and i wouldnt like to damaged any tiles to hide pipes.
    I know this is a wrong practice to supply shower,toilet and bath from shower pump and understand that the pump will activate evertime you flush the loo, but in my circumstances i have probably no other option then supply all 3 of them.
    Also it is impossible to run 10mm cable with RCD to install power shower as i will have to change the distribution board, there is no space for another breaker.
    Can you tell me if the proposed diagram is fine and i can install the pump in proposed position and which flange should i use surrey or essex or just tee off on the top on the cilinder. I will probably use the Salamander pump 1.5 bar with 15mm pushfit connection.

Regards
    Wookie

12. Dave does Gas

13. Wookie1977

Wookie1977 New Member

Hi again
    I probably go to install the whole house pump.
    It will feed shower, bath, toilet cistern on 1st floor, and hot kitchen tap in the kithen ~(cold is from main supply), and hot and cold basin, and toilet cistern in other small bathroom on ground floor.
    Can you advise if Salamander RHP 50 (1,5 Bar) pump will give me enough preesure or should go for Salamander RHP75 (2,2 Bar), also can I use S flange instead of Essex flange?
    The pump will be inslalled next to the cilinder on the bottom of the cilinder.
    The distance between bottom of cold water storage tank (loft) and shower head is around 50cm.
    Please se bellow my hot outlet from cylinder and proposed new pipe leyaout and advise if is fine.

Also what do you think about this solution, they specified it will double the pressure, you install them on existing cold and hot supply:
    http://www.showerpowerbooster.co.uk...ower-booster-sp2b-plus-sp2bu-3-year-warranty/

Regards
    Wookie

Attached Files:

14. Dave does Gas

The size you choose is totally up to how much pressure do you want from your outlets.
    With regard to the flange the manufacturers instruction will specify which type to use they will almost certainly ask for an Essex flange which has to be cut into the side of the tank.

15. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi

Looking at the unvented cylinders on the market now, it's not beyond reason to swop the cylinder for pressurised system, ?

25 year guarantee,

Regards
    Peter