Shower tray dimensions...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Have-a-go-Mac, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Have-a-go-Mac

Have-a-go-Mac New Member

What are the forums thoughts on the following...

Customer wants shower tray to fit in en-suite so that it is wall to wall, i.e. fills the entire width of the available gap. The gap is not a "standard" shower tray size, the actual gap is around 1256mm, short of getting a bespoke shower tray made at big £££ I thought about going for a 1300mm.

Now the 1300mm will not fit between plasterboard to plasterboard as that gap is around 1256mm, but if I remove the plasterboard (which I will be doing anyway to replace with Hardiebacker board), the brick to brick gap will now accommodate the 1300mm tray. I will then fix the hardiebacker board above the tray and tile as per normal after sealing around the hardiebacker board and the tray. Obviously this is not the normal way to do it but it saves big £££.

Anyone see any drawbacks to this idea?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

That's burying 22mm either side/end, how big is the lip on the tray.

3. HagMac, that's just the kind of job a more thoughtful plumber/builder would do in order to give their customer what they want.

As Phil says, provided the lip is wide enough, then there is no obvious reason why this shouldn't work. You would need to judge this, though, and any come-back will be on your shoulders.

(And it'll be a b* to remove afterwards should you need to...)

Any reason why you're not going the 1200mm wide shower tray route and fill in the 20mm gaps instead?

4. Have-a-go-Mac

Have-a-go-Mac New Member

There's a 50mm lip on this particular tray, so once tiled there will still be some lip showing, I think it would look like a bespoke fit in the end without the bespoke cost.

I thought this way would reduce the chance of any potential water ingress (less gaps/sealant etc.) and keep it more water tight, and seeing I was replacing the plasterboard with hardiebacker anyway the option presented itself.

Agreed, but it "should" never need to come out again! :eek:

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Agreed, but it "should" never need to come out again! :eek:

never's a long time, I know a tiler who made short life of a showertray,he denied it of course and a game of pass the buck followed but eventually it comes down to the plumber having to get the shower tray out and fit a new one,

6. You are absolutely right, HagMac; it is much better to seal by recessing the tray into a wall than trying to find something to fill a small gap that won't ever let you down in the future.

Worth trying to seal with good-quality sealant or poly adhesive down the sides before you tile over?

In any event, it sounds like a cracking job - and a lucky customer :)