Shower Tray Help

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Hillbilly, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

Hello
    Can some one give me some help please, had a new shower room fitted instead of bath, the bathroom is down stairs, the bathroom was purchased from a dealer and used their own fitters had a shower tray enclosure washbasin loo and tiling done together by same firm.
    The shower tray is water pooling in the middle, the tray was fitted on a raiser kit on a concrete floor but I noticed that there was nothing else put under tray when installed when we first used the shower it started clunking but that now has stopped but the water pooling is still there seems to be more to the rear on the right side looking from front have put a level on all tray edges and seems to be level

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Make sure your level is 'level', check diagonals too. You may get a little bit of pooling, but I'm guessing you're getting a lot. Personally, I would have made a base of 2x4 and 18mm plywood...a lot more solid and you Can still get access to pipe work. Not a big fan of riser kits...although convenient.

If you're not happy...then you should give the bathroom company opportunity to correct...give them a call :)

Plumberbish likes this.
  3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

Hi
    Thanks for reply paid a bathroom company who supplied all goods and fitter, thought that it should have had some sort of support as well as kit and I wasn't fussy on raiser kit but needed to raise tray to get drainage fall and fitter recommended using the kit and when I asked about support underneath he said did not need it, I have contacted the company 10 days ago no response yet so rang again today, same answer they'll get back to me so will wait a few more days to see what happens

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

My one fear with riser kits is cracking the base. I always build a similar base to yours and find it far easier to get the tray at the right level and can test it drains properly and no leaks !!

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Until you paid them you were their best mate, trouble is they have all your money and you have dropped down the pecking order. Sadly that's the way some companies work

6. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

I quite like riser kits, really convenient and makes levelling the tray nice and easy. I always mount the riser kit on a 18mm ply base which I fix down very securely. Putting the riser kit feet straight down onto sheet flooring is asking for trouble in the medium to long term.

Hillbilly, the edges of your tray should be spot on level, that is the point of having the riser kit. The bit of the shower you stand in should have a nice gentle slope down towards the waste, from all over the tray. The slope may even increase as it gets closer to the trap. Check this with your spirit level, but make sure your level is accurate, turn it round and it should read the same both ways.

If you are getting pooling (and a little bit can happen as above), water doesn't usually flow uphill. If the tray isn't level that can cause it. You may though have a duff tray, the tray is level round the edges but is bowed hence your pooling.

So check it out and find out your situation and let us know. Hopefully you've used a decent firm and once you've established what is going on they will be back. Remember a bit of pooling can occur so post some pictures so we can have a look.

7. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

Thanks
    I did check level all ways and it looks as though the tray is level around all the edges I did try 2 different sorts of levels as well, sadly it looks as though the tray is c***p the back edge against wall runs into middle and stays there in a pool about 2mm deep and around 500mm in length and about 120mm away from back edge drain is at front edge only way to get it out is soak it up or squeegee towards drain gutted after paying nearly 5k for the job

8. Glad its Friday

Ouch!
    That's not acceptable. You need to give them the opportunity to fix it though and another firmer but polite call in the morning is called for.
    You need to let them know that unless someone comes this week then you'll be prepared to take if further.
    Good luck, let us know how it goes.

9. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

More problems now I found the plastic cover plinth on front of shower tray is sealed along the top onto tray and at sides but is not sealed to tiled floor and goes under the tray, I caught it with my foot when rechecking tray looks as though that there is nothing behind this cover at the bottom and is only held onto tray with silicon along the length of the tray, just under screen door and panel, no end cap wall to wall fitment.
    I will ring again tomorrow and if things don't get sorted to our satisfaction I might need a little help from forum how to take this further and I will name and shame company as you said not acceptable

10. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

Ooops
    Forgot to say thanks for all posts so far very helpful

11. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

Update to this thread have phoned company (again) managed to speak to the bathroom fitter was coming that evening to take a look so far no show can anyone advise me what steps to take next I hate being taken for a fool

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Send them a letter or email giving them a time limit to sort it out before you go to small claims.

13. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

this is why a shower tray should be tested before tiling, i normally throw a few buckets of water down to see how it performs/ test the waste.

14. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

Reply accepted but when you pay £1500 labour plus the cost of furniture to have it all done £5000 total inc labour surely the bathroom fitter should do this before starting to tile I'm no expert and it's not my place to be overlooking everything that he does so will be taking it further as of today still no action taken by company to rectify problems

15. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

Still no response from company said they were coming but still no one has turned up yet, water pooling at rear of tray is getting bigger and now have noticed than tray is creaking when you move around near the middle, the tray is on a concrete floor but on a riser kit nothing supporting tray underneath did question this when it was being fitted but was told by fitter that it was not required as the riser kit was enough to support tray and not being a plumber myself accepted the answer he gave

16. Glad its Friday

Sounds like the people you've used to do this job either don't care or you've not managed to get your complaint to the 'top man'.

Do a bit of research, find out who the 'main man' is - write to him (recorded, signed for delivery).
    Explain the issue (and the history) and that you want him to come and see what appears to be the problem.
    Explain that if they don't respond, you will employ another firm of plumbers to prepare a report of the issues and an estimate for any remedial works needed.
    You will then involve trading standards / take them to court to seek compensation for the poor work.

That should get you a response, if not you know what to do. Best of British!

NB - if the riser kit is going straight onto a concrete floor that should be ok. Provided you use all the support bits everything will be fine.
    Sounds like the tray hasn't been properly supported coupled with a duff tray (from your earlier post).
    Obviously we can only go on what you've told us but it sounds like a poor installation. Good luck, let us know.

17. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

Thanks Glad its Friday this seems a good plan will phone company again on Wednesday to see what the company comes out with this time.
    and will post what they said (or not) thanks for your help

18. rd1

rd1 Member

Hillbilly,
    You might consider taking some photos of how it looks now with the pooling and other problems so that you have documented evidence just in case they don't manage to fix it and you do need to take it further. Hopefully, you are already making a note of date, time and the name of the person you speak with at the company and which if done just after each conversation is powerful documented evidence of your patience and their lacklustre attitude. The legal system love this sort of documentation and often means the claim is settled without the court attendance and costs. Also don't forget to look at your house insurance to see if you have legal advice included which may be of use.
    I am sure you will get it sorted but it is always best to be prepared.

19. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

Thanks Rd1
    Have done this already but did b not want to post them online yet as company as of 5.30pm today have not yet responded so will see what happens over the next few days, I'm always up for being fair but these are starting to try my patience now