shrinking wallpaper

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by bonkers, Dec 5, 2005.

1. bonkers

bonkers New Member

I recently papered lounge, following instructions to leave paste on paper for 8-10 mins before papering. I offered paper to wall smoothing out and sliding upto next piece ( i had sized the walls with a watered down paste mix). after each piece i was totally happy that it was on the mark, but then within the hour the white line started showing between the pieces,(i had to colour these in with in a crayon) indicated it had shrunk back- what had i done wrong ??

2. Peter the Painter

Peter the Painter New Member

Hi b., your experience is not unusual on dark wallpaper.
    What happens is,the soaked paper stretches when you brush it out.
    During the drying process it shrinks back a little and then you see a small gap on all the seams.
    The best way to deal with it is:

a. allways crossline before hanging wallpaper.
    b. use a crayon to color the edge of the wallpaper.
    c. if pos. get yourself some emulsion tinnted in approx. the wallpaper color and paint the liningpaper under the seams.

If you follow these simple rules you should have no more problems.

3. bonkers

bonkers New Member

cheers peter, ill def try that next time, just one thing -do you mean colour the edges of paper with crayon when its still rolled up and dry

4. paintycait

paintycait New Member

You could not have had better advice. Yes, colour the roll end when still rolled...I've been known to use lipstick when caught short on a job when I didn't know I was going to have to paper a wall....I wouldn't advise that though. Some of the better quality manufacturers like Coles and Zoffany supply matching crayons for the wallpaper.
    C

5. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

On One or two ocashions (hanging dark paper I have measured all the joint lines and run a 1" band of emulsion up.

Shrinkage is far less of an issue if the wall is crosslined and the finish is far better also you can a practice of the required cuts etc.

Paul

6. skid

skid New Member

You could get a proper painter or decorater to do it 4 a start and why on earth would you use a crayon it only costs a a fiver for some proper infil god!

7. paintycait

paintycait New Member

Infil???? This isn't a road for God's sake. Usinag a crayon has been the method used and advised by quality manufacturers and paperhangers ever since the selvedge was cut from wallpaper...but then you wouldn't know what to do with a selvedge either by the sounds of it.
    Cait

8. paintycait

paintycait New Member

Sorry wrong spelling...just in case you have to look it up in the dictionary:- selvage.