Shuttering ply moisture tolerance

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Philde, May 7, 2017.

1. Philde

Philde Member

I have some sheets of 'shuttering' ply which I intend to use on the roof of a gazebo, covered with felt underlay and felt shingles. A couple of days ago some water got spilled on the garage floor where the ply was sitting edge on. Within a few hours two of the sheets has started de-laminating at the edge that had got wet and one had a large bleb. I find now that it is easy to pull apart the layers that got wet with ease. The ply did not sit in a puddle, the floor is quite flat, just got splashed and sat on the wet floor until it dried. My question is, should the ply be that susceptible to a one off wetting or have I got the wrong ply for the job?

Markings on sheets are C+/C CE4 Bond Class 3.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    IMAG1447.jpg

Regards Phil

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Wrong ply for the job mate, absolute c.rap. It's used for shuttering as it's only temporary, you need far eastern or wbp ply for what you intend.

vivaro man likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I used some recently to go behind plasterboard on a stud wall. Some was left in the garage where I was working and quickly started to delaminate too. It's cheep and cheerful and I wouldn't want to use it for your intended purpose.