Side garage door - opens outwards prevent wind catching it?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mds1256, Feb 12, 2016.

1. mds1256

mds1256 Member

Hi

I know the title is a little bit cryptic but we have a separate garage that has an external side door (looks like a wood door with metal front and back panels).

The trouble is the wind can catch this sometimes and pull the door from your hands as you are opening/closing it, I need to prevent this from happening.

Is there anything I could buy to fit that would prevent the wind from ripping the door from my hands.

I was thinking of something like a door closer as it has some tension but it may not be built to take the force of the wind?

Thanks

2. Or, do it properly - from £95+VAT:

3. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Have a look for storm door chains or door wind chains.
    Probably what you need

4. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

This one wouldn't be up to standard sorry Dev's.
    As you say you can spend in excess of £200 on a decent one which is what you would need here. A good quality closer with back check on it.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

How big/heavy is this door?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. I suppose you're right, SIAB.

What caught my attention on that fellow was the adjustable opening speed too - if the opening of the door is also heavily dampened, the wind would hopefully not be able to snatch it away.

That, coupled with a short post in t'ground outside - is there any room for this, MDS? I have a post fitted outside my own garage's side door, not only to stop it swinging away but also to tether the door open with a cabin hook when needed.

Chains and restraints will probably stop the door, but only after it's already got up to full whacking speed.

Come summer time, MDS can tweak the opening speed up again.

seen it all before likes this.
  7. I suspect quite - it looks like a composite door with metal facings.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

What I'm thinking is maybe sort of gate jockey wheel(braked).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. mds1256

mds1256 Member

Thanks for all the replies, the door is a standard size (if there is such a thing!) wooden door with metal facings back and front. I wouldn't say it was really heavy just more like a solid wooden external door (no windows or panels).

there is space to put a small post but ideally want it all internal if possible.

10. Well, you could have had that restraint for little more than a £iver - worth it as a test?

The idea is that you dampen the opening motion so that the wind simply cannot 'snatch' the door from your hands.

It's a bit like a hatchback lid rams or suspension struts - try and move them quickly and you'll have little joy. Just take it easy...