Siemens/Bosch washing machine F16 code

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Gogs, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Gogs

Gogs Member

As title, our machine is displaying the F16 code which seems to relate to the door lock.

Everything appears to be fine so tried the advice found online such as reset then managed to pick up a new replacement interlock yesterday in the hope that would be job done but still not happening.

Any idea where would look next, £30 for an interlock was worth a gamble.

Again online some quote it can only be a couple of things but being involved in the motor trade I know fault codes can be misleading sometimes

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Door ain't locking, better to get a Bosch bod in to sort it, only a few things it can be, door lock, pcb I think.
    I have my Bosch WM, it's insured,is it worth it,difficult question,I think so,only used insurance 3-4 times in 10 years, motor, pump, lockout & something else I think.
    But, it gives you peace of mind, you know the repair is done properly.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Check that the part on the actual door is doing the correct job(that it hasn't moved or not striking high or low enough, or worn short). If you suspect it, use an insulated tool(bic pen?) to see if you can activate the lock by putting it in the catch-hole.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Gogs

Gogs Member

Seems when the carbon brushes wear out the take the main board out.

I took apart and can see the scorch mark on the board.

I got a used board from a seller who said it would work and it does to a degree but turns out came out a Bosch but the programs don't add up. so not so confident using it like that, just incase when it lights up a 30 degree, it's actually doing a 90...if possible

New board is £109 from Siemens, someone told me they wont be plug and play so to speak and need programmed, surely not?

Loathe to get rid but maybe time to bite the bullet, is it worth a repair

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think a lot of PCB boards now have to be programmed by the manufactures.

£109 would buy a decent 2nd hand washing machine, picked one up last week for £50.

CGN likes this.
  6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You doing Hmo's Jit or single lets? (Slightly off topic!!)

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Reg code, double check as sometimes there may be a couple of things that could be at fault...manufacturers don't like fault codes being in the public domain and it can be a pain to get correct info

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I do manage one HMO, full time job in itself, but keeps me busy. Do have a 1 bed maisonette if you are interested.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

How old is your machine?

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You can get a repair and guarantee (repair and protect) done depending on the age of the machine, most insures aren't interested in providing cover for appliances over 8 years old or over as they are deemed uneconomical.

Washing machine generally break down much quicker due to there regular use and moving parts.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

My Bosch WM is 12 years old on Boxing day, & still covered by yearly insurance, cost around £80, have only had 3 repairs in all that time, will be getting a new Bosch WM & a fridge freezer which is also at least 12 years old in January.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Some appliance have been beneficial to have further warranties on.

I know with domestic and General that they can protect a number of appliances in a household for a reduce fee. But weren't interested in a Fridge freezer over 8 years old, Its only needed a new compressor in that time.

Generally that have been good and do come out and repair.

I do think that older machine are more reliable, there is less electronics to go wrong.

The worst machine we've ever owned is a Indesit or Hotpoint. Brought extended guarantee for 3 years, continually broke down. Thankfully the insurer (Tesco) refunded the the cost of the machine, which was very good.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It pays to spend the extra cash to buy quailty brands like Bosch, etc in my opinion.

14. Gogs

Gogs Member

Would either repair this one or buy new with usual 5 year guarantee

15. Gogs

Gogs Member

Reg code, what do you mean? It had the F16 fault but not now with another board in it, it's just not the exact board for the machine. It was clearly the board as could see the scorch and blown track

16. Gogs

Gogs Member

Hence why I bought the Siemens, however wouldn't be paying £80 a year for insurance, usually get 5 year cover standard with them, it's probably about 8 years old now but a good machine, sure with the board and new brushes it will be good for further hammering.

Your one is 12 years old, Bosch seem to only give 2 year as standard or they did hence reason chose the Siemens. If so you've spent £800 on insurance, yes had repairs but could have got another two for that.

The Bosch stuff seems to be creeping towards to Hotpoint pricing with a lot of their machines.

17. Gogs

Gogs Member

That's what I'm trying to establish as £109 for the board is one that, I can fit it easy enough but not programme it if that's the case

18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Regarding the code! :)

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Bosch are only giving out a 2 year manufactures guarantee with the washing machine. It may be a good idea to wait until Boxing Day or the new year sales if you can wait this long, Samsung offer 5 years with there washing machines. something you have to weigh up.

If you want to repair, that I would recommend getting it repaired through the insurer, as it may not be the PCB just at fault. They will repair the machine regardless of the cost (upto a point) so it wont cost you any more on top of this you will get 12 months guarantee.

depend how old the machine is and getting a quote for it, they base it on age and the cost of the machine when new.

20. Gogs

Gogs Member

Sorry was clearly the board, would have fixed it if could have got the part even