Signed off electrics question

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jon86, May 3, 2016.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The colour change came in before Part P, about a year I think. Pointless wiring in old colours.

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

What do you mean by signed off OP? I was under the impression that if you were a "domestic installer" you couldn't do work on your own house and sign it off because its not work so to speak. Not that its stopped me from doing a full re-wire on my own house which ~I never bothered getting signed off. If someone ever has a problem with it then they can buy next door instead if they can persuade them to sell.

3. peter palmer

You might like to rethink that.

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The new (harmonised) colour cables may be used on site from 31 March 2004. New installations or alterations to existing installations may use either new or old colours, but not both, from 31 March 2004 until 31 March 2006. Only the new colours may be used after 31 March 2006. For more details see the information sources and directions to links below.

Part P came into effect in England and Wales on 1 January 2005.

5. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

I've still got some

sparky Si-Fi likes this.
  6. fire

fire Well-Known Member

As long as you have the label on the consumer unit to say their are two versions of the BS7671 regulations colours then both colours can exist.
    Who can say when the red and black was installed, must have been before 2004... :p

7. peter palmer

The point is people are buying old colours to say the wiring was done BEFORE Jan 2005, ie so it doesn't need signing off. It could have been done in 1975 for all they care. If you can use red and black to keep the bottom inspectors from the council away then I'm all for it.

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I'm not bothered about part p either but if people think they can get round it like this they are living in a bit of a dream world. For eg, would the work be done to the 16th? ie no RCD protection, placky consumer unit's etc? In any case most manufacturer's stamp the "make date" on their accessories.

9. peter palmer

Yes but council wallers just want easy money, so if they think the dosh is gone they will move onto the next victim without taking the time to check further

10. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Well it would have had to have been as 17th did not come around till 2008. Bare in mind RCD protection existed during the 16th edition. It was the consumer units with the main switch on the right feeding non RCD circuits and the RCD on the left feeding RCD protected circuits.

It was a split RCD protected and MCB protected unit. Most of them were also metal, much higher quality than the modern tat, just saying.

16thconsumerrcd.png

madhatter1uk likes this.
  11. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

I didn't bother with that bit.
    And yes mums had a very nice two bank metal mem unit until fhm cowboys swapped it for plastic Crabtree tat so they could bodge a new kitchen in. Every so called improvement I've seen to a council place makes it worse in the last 25 years