Sikkens Cetol HLS Plus/Filter 7

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Dr Bodgit, May 16, 2017.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Will be painting my bare wood log cabin with this stuff, seems to be the best. Spec says 1 coat of HLS plus followed by 2 coats of Filter 7, which would equate to 2.5 litres and 5 litres respectively for my 5.5m x 3.5m x 2m high approx. cabin I reckon.

Just wondering whether there's any real benefit to putting on 2 coats of HLS plus and getting 5 litres of that? Colour will be light oak.

Door/window frames and some detailing will be in Rubbol Primer/Satura Plus in Anthracite grey, 1 litre of each

2. Terry82

Terry82 New Member

Hi Dr Bodgit! You have been part of my inspiration in going for my own log cabin; I love what you have done with yours; I was thinking a similar colour scheme of either light/dark oak (or somewhere in between!) with grey-ish window/doors.

I was wondering if I could pick you brains a bit? My cabin is being delivered tomorrow and all the ground works and framework are now in place to build the cabin on top.

I have a few questions for you if you are able to help? I plan to start a thread of my own with pictures and updates along the way but the main aim is to get the thing build and weatherproof before taking the winter to put the electrics, flooring etc in.

Anyway...
    1) How many 'first coat' Sikkens (HLS plus I think) did you put on and how many 'second coat' Sikkens (Filter 7). Roughly how long did this take (without the windows/doors) and how many litres of HLS/Filter 7?

2) I'm based in the North East, we are clinging on to Autumn at the moment with about 6 degrees overnight and 13 degrees during the day. Do you think this is likely to pose any problems with treating the wood? My worry is that I'm not building it for 2 weeks and am worried about it getting wet/damp. Presumably I need to treat immediately with the bare spruce being untreated?

3) When you painted the doors & windows did you do them when already in place with tape or paint before installation?

Any other tips would be great, I'm excited to get started but apprehensive of mucking it up as it the biggest project I've ever undertaken!

Apologies for coming across as your biggest fan but your posts have been very helpful getting me to this point :)

3. Terry82

Terry82 New Member

Although I’ve just seen Dr Bodgit may have been banned?! Not sure how that happens on the relatively Uncontroversial topic of DIY!

Any comments from others equally well received, especially about my 2nd and 3rd questions

Thanks

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

For accurate information Google Sikkens website it will tell you all you need to know, the problem at this time of year is moisture content within the timber which may hinder correct adhesion. Personally I would treat all the timber a few days prior to using the Sikkens with a 5 star clear wood preservative to protect against insect infestation, dry rot and wet rot etc and that is suitable when dry to use your chosen finishes.

5. Terry82

Terry82 New Member

Thanks Astramax; is that 5 star wood preservative in addition to the HLS sikkens followed by the filter 7?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, prior to any Sikkens.

7. Terry82

Terry82 New Member

Ok great, is there any particular one you would recommend? Cuprinol?

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes the Cuprinol Clear one is fine, on the container it says for use before external painting, staining or varnishing which is important so you know the Sikkens will adhere to it.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Barrettine Premier Universal Preserver can be used for pre-treatment for water-based wood finishes including varnishes and paints.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The Sikkens isn't a waterbase product.

11. Terry82

Terry82 New Member

With that very helpful recent reply it made me realise I hadn’t put finished photos up! To follow....

12. Terry82

Terry82 New Member

9782F20B-43A4-4E0C-811C-DF07D0601FFE.png 4188AEA3-201D-4806-B9F1-DE2D45F6E433.png 0BBA1754-B489-4CDE-B7BD-E70EF7CC10C8.png 43BE0B45-0B04-4872-8EC2-9E0AD9E02BE9.png B129FA7F-7FDF-4B79-ACA0-425F5E413C7D.png DB301CD8-DACD-4A07-AE8B-F04DBBEB8DAC.png 0635AF1D-BB53-4DF9-91C0-21E4D53FA57E.png 8C973407-6993-4010-AD90-5BE1FA217172.png

KIAB likes this.