Silicone v Caulk

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by frogger, Dec 19, 2014.

1. frogger

frogger Member

Not sure if this belongs in the builder's thread or the painters.
    I find 'decorator's' caulk easy to use and work with because it is 'water soluble' and can be worked with a wet finger. Silicone, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be water soluble (at least not the stuff I used) and just seems to end up going everywhere.
    So my question is: what is the 'trick' to working with silicon and how do you 'smooth' it to the shape you want without it ending up in a complete mess?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

wet finger, or a proper shaping tool.

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Dip a finger in water with a tiny drop of washing up liquid for the final sweep and wipe off surplus from your finger before each wipe.

4. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Constant wetting the finger, and then smoothing over.

5. frogger

frogger Member

OK, thanks for your replies. I have tried a wet finger on some silicones (the ones that smell a bit pungent - like vinegar) and this didn't seem to work although it works on decorators caulk. Will try the washing up liquid.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

With silicone, you need to put on only the amount you need. The wet finger does not take any silicone away, just glides over.
    With a tool, the tool takes off the edges of the silicone, but can sometimes spread a thin layer over the wall/tile, almost invisible until it's dried and you try cleaning it or it gets dirty.
    Of course, the best finish will be from good control of the gun, and using the nozzle only to get the required finish first time with no need for other tools(or fingers)!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I'm only a diy'er but when applying silicone, (I've posted this info several times before) you've just gotta give up on the "wet finger" technique

Sure its great in some applications .........:p.........But not when applying silicone lads

Getting a perfect finish from the cartridge nozzle alone is tricky, using the wet finger can be messy and often you remove too much silicone and leave a concave profile. When sealing between two right angled surfaces, you want the silicone to be a nice, smooth wedge shape, really sharp edges with no tram lines or smears

People talk about using masking tape, teaspoon handles, a round stick.....forget it pleeese

Put your hand in your pocket, pull out a tenner and go buy these;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-smoothing-tools-straight-joints/92313

Now I've not got this exact set but similar made by Fugenboy. Also another set from Tool Station with slightly different angles. Just read the reviews on the SF product, its like an epiphany in the world of silicone

Buy them, take them home, practice several times getting the right bead size from the cartridge and select the best size for the job. Dip the tool in warm soapy water, shake off excess and away you go. A perfect wedge shape seal of silicone, perfectly smooth finish and no mess. You can stop and start along a line of silicone with no probs. You can add a blob of silicon if a patch looks messy or sunken and blend in perfectly with another dip in the water, a shake and a swipe. The tool removes excess silicon from both surfaces (hence practice with bead size to minimise waste) and if you've dipped it in the water, the excess just wipes off with a paper towel. Keep a carrier bag by your side for the messy paper towels and work clean. Any unwanted blobs of silicone just wipe off with one of the long profiles and off it comes without smearing everywhere

I've said enough people.....Will just add though then when I first used my Fugenboy, I very quickly developed a man crush towards him \ it ......Honestly I did.....you can ask the wife :)

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I purchased my 'Jointboy' set from QVC shopping channel almost 11 years ago when they were beginning to be introduced.

With sanitary silicone it needs to be shaped as soon as possible as it will begin to skin, and then it will drag on the surface.

If you do purchase a set just make sure you don't lend it out as you may not get it back!

You could purchase this from Wilkos.