Silver coloured panels over rafters in loft

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Hank, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Hank

Hank Member

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of help.

The loft of our 1960s house is quite low and can't be converted into a room, but I'd like to make the loft a warm one anyway (to keep more heat in and the loft less cold in winter & less hot in summer), with insulation in between the rafters (perhaps also over the top of them).

What I'm wondering about though is what the panels are that are fitted on top of the rafters, i.e. on the outside, underneath the concrete roof tiles? They're silver coloured, almost a bit looking like the plasterboard you get with silver backing on it (not shiny though). It won't be a type of insulation, as I'm sure in the 60s they didn't really bother much with that.

I know normally you need to keep a space in between your insulation and the roof tiles, but in this case you can't see the tiles. If it was, say, sheets of plywood that I can see, then I would assume an air gap would also be needed in between it and the insulation. What about in this instance though?

Thanks for your help!

2. Any print on the silver boards what is it like to touch hard soft? I would always leave an air space of about 25mm.You can insulate using a king span eco therm ( rigid polyisocyanurate (PIR) ) in between the rafters.

3. Hank

Hank Member

No print and hard to touch, Caveman. I'm attaching a picture.

Attached Files:

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Looks like foiled back Celotex.

5. Thats my first thought but no print and battern nails sticking though most battern nail 65-75mm they must be though least 25mm with 25mm battern what ever it is not very thick looks like plaster board foil back

6. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Its a foil backed composite board that looks similar to plasterboard,sorry cant remember what its called. Insulate with Kingspan or similar leaving at least a 25mm airspace. Leave a gap at the ridge as well and plenty around the eaves. Would advise fitting soffit or roof vents. This stuffs a nightmare for condensation run off.

7. Hank

Hank Member

I think you're spot on, joiner1959. That's what it looks like (though surely they wouldn't have used plasterboard?! then again it was the 60's...)

Thanks very much for the advice. I was assuming that I'd need to leave some airspace and make sure that the air can flow "up and over", from eave to eave. Is that correct? I'd have to lower the head space in the loft (shame - it's a squeeze already), so that the air can flow around the timber at the ridge...