Single Skin Shed, will bikes rust?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Christian Phillips, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Christian Phillips

Christian Phillips New Member

I've recently had a shed built, but the shed is actually single skin and I've been told that my motorbike and bikes will rust if I store them in there. I was told I'd need to have an inner skin, making it a cavity wall.

Is this accurate advice? or is there an alternative like any products on here: http://www.celotex.co.uk/

Attached Files:

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Is this a wind-up? Yeah, of course anything stored in a shed is likely to rust, unless the shed is heated, regardles of the insulation used. Just think. You bring a wet bike into a shed...So what happens to the water on it ? Absolutely "Foxtrot Alfa", unless there is heating & vapour extraction. o_O

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Also that's not a single skin building, bricks and blocks????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

:D:D

5. Chris, as long as your shed is well ventilated, then you should be ok. Ish.

Do bear in mind that the air inside the shed (nice, by the way :) ) will be pretty much as damp as the air outside as it will be pretty much at the same temp as the air outside.

A 'cavity' won't help on its own - it'll also need to be warmer inside. But simplest solution is to keep it well ventilated.

You can expect bare metal surfaces to form surface rust, tho'.

6. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Keep them well polished and well oiled they will pull through, as DA says a bit of air flowing around won't go a miss plus it will give your shed a greater lifespan. ;)

Christian Phillips likes this.
  7. Christian Phillips

If I knew the answer, I guess I wouldn't be posting here. I'm not a builder, hence the reason I'm here. By the way, I never mentioned a "wet bike"!?

8. Christian Phillips

Maybe I meant it has no cavity wall.

9. Christian Phillips

Thank you very much for a helpful reply, I will check on it's ventilation.