Sink Waste leaking

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Carl Spiby, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

I had to remove the canister trap in order to rod and remove a blockage from the waste pipe, however when I was unscrewing the trap, the sink Waste moved, and now it has a very slight leak.

The waste is a pop up type but there is no nut underneath the sink to secure it, I assume that somehow the chrome part screws into the lower collar somehow but I have no way to turn it, all I can see in the plughole are the 4 slots which allow water from the overflow to go down the waste pipe.

The sink is by ideal standard if that helps any.

Thanks.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The leak will probably be on the overflow part and coming through the nut underneath that connects the waste pipe to the waste trap.

To seal this you need to wrap some PTFE tape on the trap thread before tightening the nut.

2016-07-28 22.07.56.png

tore81 likes this.
  3. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

You should be able to see a small water droplet in this picture just above the plastic ring at the very top of the picture, this is the source of the problem.

IMG_20160728_133318553.jpg

4. Phil the Paver

Yes that right, water is leaking from the plastic nut, not from the sink.

Undo the plastic nut, wrap some PTFE tape around the thread and retighten the nut.

This is a common problem with wastes that have overflow slots in them.

5. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

It's not a nut, it's just circular. Nothing g to grasp on to.

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Undo it again, check that the black O ring is still inside the section where the small insert goes inside the waste. If its missing thats the problem as they do fall out easily without being noticed. If it is missing nip into a plumbers merchant and ask for one.

One other little tip when your re doing it up, loosen the other end going to the waste pipe and get the joint to the waste dead straight and as tight as you can befroe tightening the other end

7. Phil the Paver

That round white plastic part is a nut, undo it and wrap PTFE tape around the thread of the waste and refit.

How hard is it to understand.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

Its not a nut, how is THAT so hard to understand?

I have found that this is exactly the same fitting as mine

Most likely thing is the rubber that goes around the overflow (where the guy in the video uses plumbers mate) has gone and that's actually what's causing the leak.

I can't get the top to turn independently of the bottom however, probably seized from 20 years of water and sludge.

Edit, just to be clear, the droplet in the picture is RIGHT at the very top, between the porcelain and the plastic ring (washer?).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  9. Phil the Paver

What happen is water run out of the slots as you empty the sink or even just run the tap without the plug in, this water then run down the outside of the insert and then sits at the point where the plastic nut screws on causing a leak at the nut.
    This I know as I had the same fitting that drove me mad leaking until I worked it out and did what I'm saying you to do, wrap PTFE Tape around the thread.

2016-07-29 17.43.02.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Phil the Paver

2016-07-29 17.46.47.jpg

If thats not a nut, then I'm a ??????

11. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

In my picture, I said the very top, I'm not talking about that part, that part is perfectly dry, it's leaking between the porcelain and the plastic circle which is shown on the picture you posted just below the slots!

12. Phil the Paver

Now I've zoomed in on it, have you used a mastic on the O ring. ????

13. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

I can't undo the waste (actual plug hole) the top half of the plug us seized in the underneath, I don't have anything to turn it the top side with.

The guy in the video seems to only screw it up hand tight. If I could get it off, I would replace whatever crappy seal is there with plumbers mate and replace any other knackered seals.

14. Phil the Paver

And if you get some big grips on it to turn it from underneath it will break, the metal they are made from is worse then monkey metal.

This may not be a bad thing though, at least then you can chuck it away and fit a decent one that isn't a stupid design.

Carl Spiby likes this.
  15. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

I did try to twist but the whole thing is moving, you're right, I don't see what's wrong with a normal collar cut.

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Unscrew the white plastic nut from the trap and lower.

Unscrew the pop up rods from where they enter the waste

Remove plug and put a long screwdriver into one of the overflow slots

Use a pair of grips on the waste, hold the screwdriver and unscrew the waste (2 people will make this job easier) if you can't get the waste to turn, place a rag over the threads where the pop up rods enter and place the grips either side of this, this will give more leverage and stop the grips from slipping

Clean waste, seals, basin thoroughly, especially on all mating surfaces and remove all old sealant, silicone, plumbers mait

Check seals / washers for splits or damage, if ok can reuse
    Ensure basin and fittings are clean and dry

Plumbers mait between waste and basin and push into place

Bead of silicone on lower section, then fit rubber seal, correct way round, bead of silicon on top of seal then tighten onto basin

Use screwdriver in overflow slots as needed and screw up waste, make sure pop up waste lines up with rods and all nice and tight

Clean up excess plumbers mait and silicone that has squished out, leave around an hour and then bingo, no more leaks :D