Size of cable for generator

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jay459, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

i will be installing a generator shortly. It's only a 2.5kw but adequate for my needs. It will be a 15m run mostly underground.

And to be honest I want a higher rated cable, in case I were to upgrade the generator.

I got the generator for free so may as well make use of it, :saying as we have a 4-5 power cuts throughout the year.

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I suppose the question is what size would you plan to fit in the future, if you don't want to re run the cable then you should size for that.

Also remember for now you need to consider how you will load shed in the event of a power cut, your gen will not be capable of running the whole house. What safeguards do you have in place to stop the mains coming back on and paralleling the supplies?

3. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Well I have no real idea what I would upgrade, I probably never will. But would just be nice to know I could without any hassle.

Would 10mm 3 core armour core be overkill for this.

I can also get that flexi blue pipe for free which would provavly mean I don't need armour core

I won't be wiring generator just need to get cable in place for spark coming but will be done with a changeover switch

Would of liked a second consumer unit to stop me overloading Jenny but don't think it will be too much hassle to make sure everything is off apart from essentials

4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Flexible blue water pipe is not suitable, swa is the way to go.

5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Jay. black duct reqd for lectric. armoured cable underground , as above

6. stu1312

stu1312 Member

You can't just wire a generator into a installation that is normally powered by the mains you need a proper changeover switch installed or you risk electrocuting someone who maybe working on the distribution network during a power cut if your badly installed generator back feeds onto the network. This sort of work needs to done by someone with the correct knowledge and isn't a Diy job.

7. Jay459

Jay459 Member

stu1312, are you even reading the thread, when did i say it would be a DIY job, it clearly says i will be getting an electrician to do the work and it clearly says a changeover switch will be in place.

All Im trying to find out is what size of cable to run. It will be a 15m run underground...

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Ask the guy who will be wiring it up.

9. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Aye, will do. Just curious as to why blue water pipe is not suitable for underground cable protection??

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Because it is blue water pipe not underground cable protection, would you use cling film instead of a condom?

Neveryoumind likes this.
  11. There are colour codes for underground ducts,cables and pipes.
    An example of some.

[​IMG]

12. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Wouldn't think cling film would be up to the task. But I do feel blue water pipe would be. This was an electrician that recommended using this. Is the only thing against using it is the colour???

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Jesus wept.

14. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

So many considerations here. Does the generator have automatic voltage regulation? Automatic start or manual? If automatic how are you going to maintain charge to the battery? transfer switch? earthing (major consideration)? ADS as generator will not supply/provide enough fault current?

Blue MDPE pipe is not appropriate to be used as a cable duct! if your "sparky" is saying it is then I would question his suitability to carry out such an install.

Risteard likes this.
  15. nigel willson

you need at least 2 layers of cling film!!. LOL

16. nigel willson

Not suitable as its not made for the job. Colour is nessasary as if you dig it up at a later date , or someone else does it indicates what theyve found!

17. stu1312

stu1312 Member

Well judging by the comments about using blue water pipe to run cables in the suggests that it's going to be a Diy bodge as no competent electrician would ever advise using it.

18. Neveryoumind

Neveryoumind Active Member

That depends on a number of things;
    1.Pints consumed
    2.Aesthetic qualitys of female
    3. Aesthetic qualitys of man dressed like female(see point 1)
    4. Err.. there is no 4

Who am I kidding, of course I would, in fact I had never considered it till now, it's got to be better than withdrawal!

leesparkykent likes this.
  19. Jay459

Jay459 Member

What if I paint the blue water pipe black...:D

It was an electrician at my job who said blue pipe would protect it ok and we have loads of it so would be free.

20. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

No you can't use it. This answer won't change just because you keep asking it.

Aside from the fact that it is the wrong colour (and may confuse anyone coming across it in the future) it is not designed as a cable duct.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. It's WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

stu1312 likes this.