Size of gap for Grout?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Cutter12, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Cutter12

Cutter12 New Member

Hi,

I am going to be tiling a floor of around 38 m². The tiles are 33.3m² and 7mm depth. They are cream coloured and the grout is grey. I am not sure what size of gap would look/work best. I am thinking 3mm spacers. Any thoughts?

Also I am not sure what size of trowel/notch I would be best using. I am thinking a 10mm square notched. The shop said that a bed of 3mm adhesive would be about right but that seems a bit thin...although they might have meant the final depth after the tile is laid.

2. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

WOW...a 33.3m2 tile, that's a big tile 2 tiles and the floor will be laid lol.
    I always use a 10mm trowel on floors and generally just eyeball the grout line once I have my centre line of tiles set out and bedded. If you're using spacers on the floor I'd say go for around 4mm

FatHands likes this.
  3. Grout lines - especially on floor tiles - are deceptive, so as Dunk says 4mm would be a safer bet than 3mm. Even 5mm wouldn't be too large.

(But if you are new to tiling, don't eyeball - def use spacers :) )

FatHands likes this.
  4. Cutter12

Cutter12 New Member

Oh yikes Big Dunk...I meant a 33.3cm²......:oops:.........just the thought of 33 metre tiles......do you use a 'square' notch 10mm trowel?

Will definately use spacers....maybe the 4mm then....

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Are these ceramic or porcelain tiles?

It would be a good idea to check how level the floor is before tiling.

6. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

I have a round notched trowel, but won't make any difference really if it's round or square notched as long as you have the thickness for the bed. If it's a timber floor you're tiling onto make sure you use a flexible adhesive as well.

Gatt likes this.
  7. Cutter12

Cutter12 New Member

They are ceramic tiles Jitender.

I will double check the floor next week before I start but from what I remeber its pretty level concrete.....

Lots of people seem to use 10mm for floors but some people use 20mm for very large tiles or floors that are a bit uneven..........?

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I haven't tile anything in ceramic for quite a while, I have mainly used porcelain tiles using rectified edges, these are expensive due to the extra processing required.

It will really make tiling much easier if the floor is level. use a long level (900-1200mm) to regularly check the levels, a small error will soon add up over the job. Use standard set adhesive, rather than rapid, this will allow you to make some changes before it goes off.

9. Cutter12

Cutter12 New Member

....I agree with you about the standard set adhesive....unfortunately tiles, grout and rapid have already been delivered....looks like I will have to learn quick.... I will just do small batches.....

thanks very much for your advice...much appreciated.....I finally bought myself a decent Stabila 90cm last week so I will put it to good use :)