size of RSJ for removal of load bearing wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by sappy, Apr 14, 2014.

1. sappy

sappy New Member

Hi
    Lookin for advice please
    I want to remove a load bearing wall between our kitchen and dining room. I have submitted a Building control notice to the local council and now want to appoint a builder to do the work.
    I would appreciate an idea of reasonable cost for such a project for a builder to do the necessary and install a RSJ which will be around 3.5metres long as per regs.
    How much would such an RSJ be roughly?
    I don't need plastering at this stage as there are more works to do prior to plastering the lot!
    How long would it take?
    Anyone know a good builder in the Belper Derbyshire area?
    Thanks Lisa

2. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Do you have calcs?

3. sappy

sappy New Member

Hi
    In the process of being done. Engineer has been and I am waiting for him to come back to me with calcs and details of padstones etc..
    Thanks Lisa

4. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Hi Sappy,
    An RSJ itself would cost about £150, I had 3 holes drilled it that as well and it included delivery.
    12x4inch

B J

sappy likes this.
  5. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

It really depends on where you get them from. The last few I did I paid £200 for a 3m 203 x 102 from travis perkins

Then next one I used a local supplier and got a 4m 203 x 102 and a 3m 178 x 102 for £175 primed and delivered

sappy likes this.
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

TP are robbing bandits.

7. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Yea... Just got a price on engineering brick, 36p incl VAT... TP said 46p plus VAT!!!!