skim old skim

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mr Rusty, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Hi

As a DIYer I've skimmed a fair bit of new plasterboard before and have made a reasonably good job of it. I've now got to skim a previously skimmed and tiled wall where removing the tiles has removed a little old skim in places where the tle dabs have pulled off the surface, and also left a raggy edge on to the corner bead, which is still OK. The wall is about 95% clean original surface and 5% craters. Not a huge area - round a kitchen window.

What's the best way of preparing the old skim to re-skim over? PVA? What concentrate? PVA then dry or re-skim when sticky?

2. You are planning a complete new skim coat over everything?

There's a stuff - what's it called? - Blue Grit or summat? Applied, it gives a good surface to skim on to.

Never used it masel, but it sounds good.

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

yes, skim over everything.

4. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Yes it's okay to skim that. If you do a mix of PVA and mix in some multi finish, paint it to the skim and allow to dry, this will give you a sand paper like finish as a good key, pva leave till tacky and skim the lot.

B J

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Many thanks. That points me in the right direction.