Skimming over joint filler

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by pantalonas, Jan 31, 2017.

1. pantalonas

pantalonas Member

Hi all,

I thought I'd try the American idea of tapered boards and joint filler but I'm not happy with how it's turned out so I want to plaster over the lot.

Sooooo my question is - how do I prep the wall before plastering? Give it a couple of mist coats? Pva/water mix?

Ta muchly

p

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

No prep needed I think.

3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Scrim tape over the joints

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Scrim joints then pva over any filler before skimming, otherwise the filler will be sucking moisture out of your skim.

5. pantalonas

pantalonas Member

Thanks all - I put scrim tape over the boards before the joint filler so wouldn't need too again?? Should I use watered down pva or put it on neat?

Ta

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Watered down. If previously scrimmed, then good to go :)

7. pantalonas

pantalonas Member

Greats thanks for your advice:)

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

10. Panta, if you haven't skimmed before, welcome to a huge learning curve...

Watch some vids on PooTube to get an idea, and then commit yourself to it with gusto...

One main issue as said above - the existing plaster skim over the tape will be bone dry and very absorbent, so will suck all the water out of you new skim coat in that area - the skim will go lumpy and crumbly and be a 'mare to deal with.

You could try PVAing it beforehand, but this can go the other way too much - be less absorbent than the surrounding bare boards. So what I tend to do in situations like this - where I don't want to PVA everything - is to dampen the dry plaster with a hand-held spray 'mister' like wot you use on plants. Give it some light misting until the worst of the 'instant absorption' has stopped, then you should be good to go...

11. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I learnt a valuable lesson skimming my walls and ceiling.
    Get a pro in.

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep I will do most things but not put on a finishing coat.

Joe95 and wiggy like this.
  13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Joe95 likes this.
  14. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I made a right hash of mine, ended up trying to sand the worst bits, unbelivable mess everywhere.

15. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Very valuable lesson. Doesn't matter how easy a spread makes it look, it's not.

I'm also speaking from experience:oops::oops:

wiggy likes this.
  16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Piece if cake...sort of!! :D

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

It won't hurt to put a light coat of pva over the lot.

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Making up the mix and then the race to get the stuff on the wall and get a good finish before it goes off !
    Its one of those things that needs a lot of practice, not just to get the finish good but also the speed and the arm muscles.

A chippy mate of mine can get finishing plaster to a marble like sheen but won't paper a ceiling .... horses for courses

19. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

What did you fill it with. Easy fill is a doddle to sand down!

20. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

For me it's the finish of the plaster. Anyone can slap some plaster on the wall, but it does take some skill to get it flat and without trowel marks.

CGN likes this.