Skimming over old pva on walls

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Chris_CAAM, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Chris_CAAM

Chris_CAAM Member

Hi all...

Im working in a property at the moment and want to skim the walls in one room. Wallpaper has been stripped off but there is a thick coat of what appears to be PVA.
    In some places, it comes off the wall luke peeling it off your fingers haha. In other places, it comes off in tiny bits.... ive attached a picture in case that helps.

Dont really want to try and get if all off cos it will be a massive pain, but can anyone advise if I can just skim over it?

Dont know whether to bosh pregrit over it, a new coat of PVA or just try and skim over the top and see what happens.

Any help on this would be most gratefully recieved

Cheers,
    Chris.

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It will come back to haunt you, try washing the walls with hot water with a spot of washing up liquid added, some use vinegar instead, stick hand brush might also help, but it would be better removed before skimming.

3. Chris_CAAM

Chris_CAAM Member

Thanks for that.... I think! Haha...

Yeah if im honest, i dont do a half job. My view is if your going to do a job, do it right or it will come back and bite you... so will give warm water, washing up liquid / vinegar a go tomorrow and see what happens.

Really appreciate the quick reply

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't even spell, I meant to say, use a STIFF hand brush.:oops::rolleyes:

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If it's coming away that easy why not consider using a steam wallpaper stripper.

6. Chris_CAAM

Chris_CAAM Member

;) I kinda guessed that what you meant, but it did make me chuckle.... and besides, if you look at my first post, I involved 'luke' haha

7. Chris_CAAM

Chris_CAAM Member

With regards to the stripper, thats been the question mark cos I was using a stripper to get the wallpaper off ans in some places, the glue came off ok ish... but in other places it didnt... but may have to go down that route if the warm water doesnt work.

Only other thought is to try and sand it off. Its gonna be a pain whichever option i go for I think haha.

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Maybe it's ready mixed wallpaper paste pealing off?Get what you can off. Cut up a cheep wood saw to about a 40cm length. Drag across walls sideways to break the surface back to good. I find it's the best way to put 100s of lines across wall. Seal with artex sealer or something similar and plaster skim

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yeah. That will do it or the plasters blue grit stuff.

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Excellent product that Blue Grit.

12. Chris_CAAM

Chris_CAAM Member

Ive not had a chance to have a go at it yet, but the bits that I did manage to get off at the start have been a bugger. Definately tempted to just use Blue Grit and skim over it...