Skirting and Architrave

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by JJames, Oct 28, 2014.

1. JJames

JJames New Member

Hello there,

Please could you give us a hand here? I want to install 15mm MDF skirting to 1930’s SOLID brick wall and looking for the best option. Trust me I know the pain in trying to put a nail through these walls. Is it better to rent a Nail gun from the hire shop (like the Hilti DX460 from hss hire) and also what nail length and thickness do I use that would hold and wouldn’t damage the MDF or wall.

Also the new architrave is bigger than the old one I removed which was the same size as the door frame. Do I now nail the new architrave to the door frame (MDF on wood) or to the wall (MDF on wall) and fill the gaps with caulk. Also which side do we try to align the spirit rule internal or external side of the architrave?

Please what are your opinions? Many thanks.

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

You could stick the skirting to the wall, using no more nails/sticks like ****/ gripfill/ etc. The architrave should be pinned to the door frames, set the architrave so it's a nice even gap from the edge of the door frame (say about 1/4" (6mm) You don't have to set the architrave so it's plumb, it has to follow the door frame (otherwise if the door frame is out of plumb, the even space between frame and architrave will be wider at the top or bottom (depending which way the door frame is out) Remember to do the architrave before the skirting. ;);)

Here's a picture of the little gap between architrave and frame (so you know what I mean)

Attached Files:

3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Must admit that I was going to suggest adhesive, but thought that I would get a load of **** from you pros. It worked ok for me, after having a new kitchen fitted. I only used it for the skirting & was able to use a "jack" to hold it against the wall.

4. joinerjohn1

Nothing wrong with gripfill these days (if the wall's fairly straight) Used to fix using brown plugs, but years and years ago joiners would have to fix to timber grounds hammered into the brick joints. So modern methods (and technology) these days. ;);)

5. MrKieran

MrKieran New Member

Have to agree with john. If it was me id use gripfill or pinkgrip. They are the only two I ever use and swear by them. Also I find it best to stick using blobs instead of long squiggly lines if that makes any sense haha

6. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

Are plugs and screws an option.

7. TartanPaint

TartanPaint Member

As per the previous poster I'd use No8 x 50mm screws with plugs, driven home with an impact driver. Screw heads then filled. All joints in the skirtings glued. Problem with Gripfill is the plaster is always damaged behind the old boards when you take them off. Also screws give you a second chance if things go wrong :)

FatHands likes this.
  8. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

The good old days of hours spent cutting dooks and nailing on skirting grounds.:( They don't know their born.

9. joinerjohn1

Once had to do a room using this method. Took hours on me knees just chiseling the perps in the brickwork out and hammering the wedges in. Even drilling and plugging with brown plugs would have been much quicker.

10. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

After my time was out I worked with a firm that was building a school. There were 201 doors in the building which meant every door frame was to be fitted using dooks. We bunged the brickies a few bottles of whisky to clean out the joints as they were building to save us spending hours bashing away with a dookin iron. How times have changed. Plumbing dooks and using rods to fit door frames.