Skirting and carpet

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Liz, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Liz

Liz New Member

Hi, I have my carpet fitted today and before they did I stripped the beading, reglossed and removed the laminate. When I stripped the beading from the skirting boards it left them looking ugly but I thought the carpet would have covered it. However it hasn't and in some place (for some reason) the carpet is dipping down towards the skirting board - not sure how when it's concrete under. I'm after advice of the best way to make the skirting look better, I was considering putting new beading down but I have never seen a carpeted room with beading, the other option is replacing the skirting but that's a last resort as its a faff, any other suggestions? Sanding would be quite labour intensive when at the moment it will be four rooms so if possible I would like something quicker that hides it.... Thanks in advance.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi Liz
    What a shame that after thinking ahead and prepping and painting the skirts, you've ended up with this difference in levels and scruffy bottoms to the woodwork

The reason why the carpet dips down at the edges is that there will be gripper rods nailed to the floor, these are spaced slightly away from the skirts and the carpet edge is tucked down between the grippers and skirts

I can think of 2 options (there may well be more though)

Wide masking tape (50mm) around carpet edge, tucking down right to carpet. Prep rough areas of skirts and paint

Add beading to cover rough areas, maybe possible to paint beading first then glue and pin to skirting. I've never seen it either, would suggest just a short length and see what it looks like

Do you have the same problem around the base of any door frames ?

3. Liz, as you say, having beading along the bottoms of skirtings over carpet ain't the norm, but that's not to say it won't look perfectly fine.

As Dave suggests, try it and see. It could well look nifty.

4. Liz

Liz New Member

No my door frames look fine, I think I will try the beading and see if I can get it nailed into the skirting as opposed to using the glue incase it goes on the carpet. The carpet looks great just the ends look bad shame really.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you are considering using beading, think about using a very thin one(you don't need to come out to cover the carpet) so about 5mm thick and 20mm high. The 5mm thickness will allow you to get it down nicely to the bottom edge of the skirting. Can be tacked or glued. Paint before gluing on.
    You might like to add paint when on to help disguise the meeting with the skirting and it may well end up looking like part of the skirting profile!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

upvc 'D' section trim 20mm x 4mm comes in 5 metre lengths and costs around £3.00

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Simple and a whole lot easier to tape over the carpet, sand, vacuum up dust and re paint .