Skirting Board opinions - patterned or just square?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Matt_H, May 9, 2017.

1. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

Hi, I have just had the walls plastered in our refurbished living room and am now ready to install the skirting board.

I want the room to look modern.

I personally think patterned skirting boards look old fashioned. I am thinking of getting just square MDF skirting board with no curve or pattern, like the one shown below:

http://www.skirtech.co.uk/Square_MD...ct--407.html?gclid=CNXxv9X04tMCFe-d7QodtgYJAQ

Am I right in thinking this is the style more modern houses would have?

Thanks
    Matt

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Matt_H likes this.
  3. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Matt, yes it can look quite effective but I think it's a fad rather than anything startling. There is a certain timeless class to some mouldings. Look in some Edwardian houses they have huge 10inch skirts and they look brilliant but they had 10foot ceilings.

Can't go wrong with ogee, torus or like KIAB says pencil round. They have all stood the test of time, they are readily available and they do look good when properly fitted. I'm not entirely convinced that an 18mm flat top might not become a dust trap. Mrs Matt might have something to say about that.

Good luck.

Matt_H, Jord86 and KIAB like this.
  4. If you are not careful, 'flat' could look very cheap and basic. I guess, done right (colour scheme, etc) it could look good.

I think the best suggestion would be to surf pictures of actual installations so's you can see them in situ - only then will the true effect show.

Lots of options to completely flat if you want modern - Manchester & Rebate (second link above) for two.

Try Google images.

Matt_H likes this.
  5. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Any flat surface soon becomes grotty and dusty if not cleaned. so skirting with a profile reduces this appearance.

Matt_H likes this.
  6. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

Thanks All...I'd not thought about the dust issue.

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Regardless of profile all skirting will collect dust.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I try and keep skirting the same throughout the house, matching existing stuff.

Have 3" chamfered skirting, it is reversible with bullnose on the other side.

9. The dust is the least of it!

Fit what you feel will look best. That's it.

10. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

I hate reversible skirting with a passion. Prone to cupping in pine, less material to bond/nail to, and worst of all you don't have a flat surface on the bottom to strike a line from a square or sliding bevel. HATE, HATE, HATE them. The only one to benefit is the retailer as it takes up less space and saves buying two products. I refuse to fit it. It's worse than having to remove slotted screws from old painted over hinges. lol

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Leave it off....................less to paint!;)

12. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Matt, would it help you if we all took a photo of our skirting's, then that might help you to chose.??

I dont know if my Misses would say anything about that. Will have to clean off the tops first..:eek:

13. PC Works

PC Works Member

The only issue with having patterned skirting boards is if you have to replace a section somewhere down the line, you might struggle to find the same pattern.

14. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Easy, Buy double the amount. Store it in the loft. Simples. ;)

Astramax likes this.
  15. PC Works

PC Works Member

Won't be enough room with all the bodies surely.....

masterdiy likes this.
  16. diyjase1980

diyjase1980 New Member

Yep - can't beat the standard MDF. Get it pre-painted and it makes the job so much easier too!

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

4 year old post......probably done and dusted by now! ;)

BillyBobToo likes this.