Skirting board over step

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by AndrewMole123, Jun 25, 2015.

1. big all

big all Screwfix Select

the zero mark is the working position on a mitre saw
    in the same way you start a car journey a the point you are at not the end off the road and travel to your destination any miles mentioned are from the point you joined that particular road
    in the same way the hight a plane is above the ground is not from sea level but the ground underneath
    you dont say have worked in the same job for 57 minus 43 years = 14 years
    you dont say i get 5 years holiday you pick a year or month and work from there
    you pick a zero point and work from there

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yes, but bigall, when the mitre saw tells you that you have cut across your skirting at 0 degrees, you have cut a 90 degree cut!!!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Possibly not the best example Big All , re: altitude, as it depends on your barometric altimeter setting, however I agree with the consensus of opinion on this thread......Handy, when you're in a hole STOP DIGGING !!!

4. Mr. Handyandy

So malkie, when you take an angle by hand, do you take it from the 90º cut?

5. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Handy, I really can't be arsed to go into geometrics, but I have asked before & never received an answer.....What is your trade? o_O

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

all mitre saws in the world start at zero for the reason i explained its up to you what you think
    i wont argue the point as your thought and my thoughts are irrellivant :D

7. Mr. Handyandy

I'm sure all of those with mitre saws understand that a 90º cut is actually 0º on a mitre saw, then all will be fine.

Heaven help you when you don't have a mitre saw at hand and you have to use a conventional(hand tool), you will not be making any 22.5º mark or cut by measuring off the 90º.

You will be measuring from the bottom plane or the top, and it won't be 22.5º.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

If you are going 0 to 90, or 90 to 0; 45 must be right for both methods

9. Mr. Handyandy

Yes. But 22.5 won't be.