Sky installers

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Pauly.22, May 11, 2016.

1. Pauly.22

Pauly.22 New Member

Hi,

Just had sky installed today, i don't know if it's normal but to me I'm not happy with how they clipped the cable around the house.

I wouldn't do it like that even though it's on the roof of the side passage.

All you needed was about 4 more clips and would have looked OK.

Cable come along the Side of the house without clips. No problem.

[​IMG]

Get to the bit where the house goes back in. Put a clip either side of the 90? And bring it round he corner and a clip either side of the next 90 go behind the waste pipe and drain pipe without clips and it's sorted.

They just lashed straight across.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then even right at the end they could have gone behind the existing cables.

[​IMG]

I know it's on the roof. But it just looks messy and untidy to me now. And there clipping on the front and back of the house ain't exactly tidy.

If I had known I would have run the cable in before they got here.

Is this there normal standards? Should I get them back in to do it again?

Paul.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very sloppy, totally unnecessary, would have only took minutes to reroute cable behind pipe.

Looking at Sky site, they say: As a rough guide, a standard installation covers:

1: Neatly running cabling inside and outside the home (e.g. around skirting boards, door frames etc).

Which in your case they haven't.

3. Andrew Masson

Andrew Masson New Member

These boys are price work no excuse I know but thats it im afraid as a guy in the same line of work (although i go slighty beyond the dish monkey level) it annoys me when i see this

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Total mess when I had sky installed some years ago. Can't list all the issues I had as too many but for instance;
    Horizontal runs not level and cable dips, not enough clips used

Blown face on brick as probably drilled straight through from inside

Clip nails only half in wall and many bent over, couldnt get nails fully in and obviously couldnt be bothered to drill and plug

Complained to Sky and another team came round to rectify but again, did a poor job. I ended up doing it myself and making the runs neat and tidy

As above, price work I've heard, set time per instal so chuck it in and run :eek:

5. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

When I briefly worked doing installs for NTL this manoeuvre was not allowed and referred to as the 'cowboy lasso' grab a load and throw it over the roof! It should have been clipped neatly the whole way round with a clip ever 300mm or there abouts