slates or low pitch tiles what's best

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kaned93, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

hi there my lean to roof pitch is exactly 15degrees due to 2nd floor windows.
    I am getting a roofer in to do the job but his on holiday and I need to make sure the flashing for velux are correct. would you recommend slates or the low pitch 'forticrete centurion tiles' as they state they can go down to 10 degrees.sorry if it's the wrong part I couldn't find roofer forum thanks alot.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Go with what matches or compliments the exsisting tiles on your house.:)

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

15 degrees is very shallow for most types of tile or slate, the issue of capillary action between the slates means that the water effectively runs uphill unless a gap is left between overlapping tiles. Whatever you fit on this roof you will probably be relying heavily on the under tile felt to prevent water ingress. But then, what do I know about roofs, I am an Electrician who built his own house.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There no problems with capillary action if you fully follow the installation instructions for the tile.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Are you fitting the Velux or your roofers? As KIAB stated, look to match your house if possible.