Sloping driveway help

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by ClosingWinter, Apr 8, 2015.

1. ClosingWinter

ClosingWinter New Member

Hi all,

I need some advice. I'm currently looking to do something with my driveway. It slopes upwards towards the house. (I'm not sure of the exact angle atm)

I've been looking into getting a honeycomb/grid driveway with gravel, but I'm worried that even though it'll become impacted, it will still allow a lot of gravel to roll back to the bottom of the drive onto the pavement. I also worry in case the top edge of the honeycomb will be able to be seen and ruining the effect.

Does anyone have experience with having/installing honeycomb/grids on a slope? Is there a better option for a sloping drive?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Resin Bonded driveway !
    Imperious to weeds,anti-slip,hard wearing can be laid in top of concrete or tarmac & the aggregrate can't run away.

There is also 'resin bound' which is inferior & dosen't have the durability of a resin bonded surface.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

And mentally expensive.

If not done correctly will peel off in no time.

A cheaper way to keep the stones there is to use a 20mm crushed stone as opposed to a 10mm pea gravel which is a rounded stone and will roll.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Even crushed stone will still move over time.
    Imprinted concrete available in many colours

5. ClosingWinter

ClosingWinter New Member

We've been looking at bonded resin too! I found it last night. It does look lovely, but I'd be slightly worried about drainage :/

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

With some thought,drainage issues can usually be resolved.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What is there at the moment?

8. ClosingWinter

ClosingWinter New Member

[​IMG]
    It's compacted mud with some sort of gravelly stuff over the top. The driveway hasn't been in use for about 5 years or so.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  9. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Wow! That is one steep drive. No wonder it hasn't been used for five years. You need one of these;-
    [​IMG]

Seriously though I had a 1in 4 drive and when icy our car ended up sideways on it . I could only suggest some sort of ribbed rubber steps to provide traction. If you park on a drive that steep you will stretch your handbrake cable.