Slow draining shower tray

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by scott34, Sep 22, 2017.

1. scott34

scott34 New Member

Hi
    My shower is like a small bath once you've been in it for five minutes. Now I've changed the shower trap a month ago and regularly clean it to make sure there's no hair etc clogging it up. So I'm figuring there's a blockage further along the pipe. Is it worth me getting some flexible rod and attempt it myself or pay more for a drain cleaning company to come out?

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Probably a mixture of hair and soap further down the pipe work.

Some thin flexible rods may be worth a try, and a cheap alternative to getting a drain company in. If you have rodding points on the outside, go from there back to the shower. Or maybe where the shower waste joins teh main 4" downpipe - a hair or two stick on the edge, then the next day another couple of soapy hairs and so on until the pipe is almost fully blocked.

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Liquid drain cleaner!

4. Scott, how long is the waste pipe run? And what does it end up in - a drain outside, or in to a 4" vertical soil stack?

Has this slow draining always been the case, or was there a time is drained ok? Basically I'm asking if it is down to a partial blockage or is it a design fault like shower waste pipe doesn't have enough fall.

If you are pretty sure it's a partial blockage, then try drain cleaner as Nige says. Or go straight for a pump - either manual or else one of the aerosol types.

5. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

As well mentioned above,was the shower slow to drain before exchanging the shower trap ?

some modern shower traps are designed to give full drain flow when there is at least 15mm of water head above the trap outlet. So 15mm of water is retained until end of showering.

The shower drain needs to have a good fall before entering a soil pipe or drain,not to many restrictive bends,some flexi shower drain pipes are of a smaller diameter and slow down gravity flow,these should be avoided.

Happy showering,