Slow running hot water

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by LivingMudFish, Nov 27, 2009.

1. LivingMudFish

LivingMudFish New Member

Hi all,

My tenants have called saying the hot water is running slow upstairs in the bathroom. The condensing combi boiler is in a cupboard right next door to the bathroom. But the hot water runs fine downstairs in the kitchen and WC. Plus the heating is fine too.

It's gas cert was due so the plumber went round and said 'the coil in the water vessel has gone £600 plus labour, you might as well change the boiler'

The plumber is not my usual guy as he seems to have dropped of the face of the world.

I'm not a bad landlord I want to get the problem sorted, the tenants mostly use the elec shower & just brought it to my attention given the cert was going to be done.

It sounds very odd especially if the hot water is running fine downstairs, surely a block in the boiler would result in slow running water everywhere in the house? Gravity can't play that much of a role in it can it?

The boiler is an Intelligent Condensing Combi British Gas Glow-Worm and is about 7 years old. It has been serviced every year from new (I bought the property last year).

Any Suggestions? Could it be a blocked pipe?

Cheers
    Ben

2. Itandje

Itandje New Member

He's a thief, get someone else.

3. LivingMudFish

LivingMudFish New Member

Yes I thought that. May be the horse, the cloak & pistols gave it away. Highway Robbery!

Could it be blocked pipes?

4. Itandje

Itandje New Member

What size combi is it?
    If it's only a 24 kw the poor flow through a fully open bathtap will be much more noticeable than through the sink tap downstairs. That's just the way smallish combi's are, if that's the case they need to run the bath a bit slower.

5. ns1873

ns1873 New Member

Is it at both the sink & bath taps? if not and just one of them & the downstairs flow rate is ok then it could be the actual tap itself.

6. LivingMudFish

LivingMudFish New Member

Not sure what the KW is at the moment will find out. But it was working fine with a very good flow. I think the boiler is a fairly high KW as the water is scolding hot and within a few minutes every rad is piping hot.

I'll go along the tap route first, start with the cheapest option and move on from there.

Cheers Guys

7. wonjayap

wonjayap New Member

It`ll be the tap mudfish. My friend had a similar problem with a slow running tap until a fitted him a new bathroom suite. Its probabaly a build up of limescale in the tap.