Small area with flaking paint, despite mist coat being applied

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Ben James, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Ben James

Ben James New Member

Hi all,
    As titled, we're painting a living room which was newly plastered, and applied a coat of Screwfix's No-Nonsense Trade Bare Plaster paint Friday afternoon.
    This afternoon we put on the first matt emulsion coat (Screwfix's No-Nonsense Trade Matt White), and today I was putting on the second matt coat, when a small patch about 1 ft square peeled off onto my roller! I can see straight through to the plaster again.
    The area of the room where this has happened is along a wall which is an exterior wall, and also relatively near to a radiator (if either of those might be the cause).
    I've scraped away the affected parts back but obviously a bit at a loss what to do now. The plaster paint says 4 hours drying time max which is obviously been followed by ourselves so confused why this didn't work. Also the plasterer had been 2 weeks previous so that plaster should have been dry. Any ideas?

And crucially any ideas how best to proceed from here?

I was thinking wait for it all to dry and try to sand the area, and then either reapply the mist coat, or apply Zinsser's BIN Sealer Primer, and then the matt coats. Any advice would be recommend though!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plaster needs to be matt pale pink to be fully dry, but it can take around three or four weeks sometimes longer to fully dry, if not fully dry when you paint, you can trap moisture that is still deep within the plaster this then comes to the surface & lifts off the paint.

Never used No-Nonsense Trade Bare Plaster, have alway watered down matt emulsion as a mist coat myself.

3. Ben James

Ben James New Member

Thanks for your reply. The plasterer told us 1 week so thought we were being cautious giving it 2 weeks!

What would you / anyone else recommend moving forward?

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As Kiab, never used these 'bare plaster sealer/ paints' just use regular Matt emulsion with approx 25% water as a mist coat

I wonder if that patch giving you problems has been over polished by the plasterer or has any PVA on its surface

Over polishing sure looks great when the plaster dries and shows off the plasterers skill, leaving a glass like finish. Problem is the paint finds it difficult to be absorbed by the plaster and so just sits on the surface , lacking adhesion

PVA when in contact with paint can cause all sorts of problems

Try sanding down the bare plaster, 120 grit to provide key. Sand down the edges where the paint has peeled to feather them in. Any ridges that you can see/feel need to be blended in otherwise will scream at you when painted

Try a regular mist coat on the bare plaster, after wiping down. Will dry patchy but ur only sealing the plaster at this stage. Allow to fully dry

Then try a full coat and see what happens - good luck

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you sand down you might also need a bag of Easifill to skim the area.

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I just had a few walls plastered and except for some cracks in the plaster i did a mist coat with contract matt paint watered down roughly 70% - 30%. I gave it 2 coats after having to do some filling in.

I dont think anything of these special 'fresh plaster' sealing products. Wife works in a dec place and all the decorators use what i used. They never buy a 'special' product for sealing fresh plaster.

I waited just over a week to paint. Plaster was dry.

You may have to apply some filler now to those patches. I highly recommend Gyproc Easi-Fill

http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/gyproc-easi-fill

Superb stuff to work with. Was recommended on these fine forums!