Small extension in progress, worried about brickwork - poor?! Please help!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Lkw82, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Lkw82

Lkw82 Member

We are having a small extension done on existing foundations as they are see enough (it was a conservatory) but I am very worried that the brickwork seems quite poor in places. I have no experience and so would like some professional opinions. One part of the wall has been rebuilt already as it was visibly wonky and the second attempt was a good 2 inches higher on one side than the first time it was built! Obviously this has raised alarm bells with us at the quality of the work in general. Upon checking the walls we are concerned about large mortar joints, cracks in mortar, etc. I am not sure if the pointing has been finished or not (worryingly!) but bricklayer has moved on to other work so I'm guessing it has. Please can you let me know what you think?

edit - cannot seem to upload photos as it is coming up with an error - file too large?!

2. Lkw82

Lkw82 Member

3. Lkw82

Lkw82 Member

can anyone help? are we just being fussy or is there a problem?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got carried away with adding photo's.:)

Pretty poor brickwork, joints not uniform width,courses don't look level,mortar residue on brickwork, did he tie that block wall in with wall starter? see photo below.
    Electric cable is another bad point, badly routed, a lone brick sat there waiting to attack someone passing,probably could spot more if at home & on main pc & not out & on a tiddly notebook.

upload_2016-10-9_21-14-3.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    Lkw82 likes this.
  5. Lkw82

Lkw82 Member

Thank you.

And a stupid question but what is the consequence of poor brickwork like this? Could it have major consequences like structural/damp issues or is it simply a case of it looks poor?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Poor joint work will allow water into the cavity, making internal walls damp,& other problems, also might allow creepy crawlies in, as well as mice especially winter is coming.

Lkw82 likes this.
  7. If whoever built that claims to be a bricklayer he should be on the comedians.

Lkw82 and KIAB like this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I reckon you have a good case for refund for poor workmanship, etc, totally unacceptable work, we need DA to comment, he our legal bod.
    Also we can only comment on what we see, wonder what hidden horrors there are.:eek:

Lkw82 likes this.
  9. Lkw82

Lkw82 Member

thank you so much for your help everyone, I'm so worried about it all and so really appreciate your knowledge and opinions

10. Lkw82

Lkw82 Member

I hope DA can help too please!

11. You need to get a site meeting with the the "Builder" and tell him, that under no circumstances are you accepting that brickwork.
    They have also built off brickwork that should have been torn down.
    Looks about time to maybe cut your losses if you have paid them. If this is their standard of work what are you going to end up with.

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Whilst defeating the point of having face brickwork not blockwork, I'd now be rendering over that ***** to cover their absolutely disgraceful standard of work.

13. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Not that bad for a window fitter.

GoodwithWood and Jord86 like this.
  14. Lkw82

Lkw82 Member

:) what do you mean?

15. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

I'm only DIY but inconsistent gapping, courses vary wildly, shrinkage and the mortar mix looks very strong in places (but then looks weaker), what is the mix ratio? 1: what?? It was obviously very wet - hence the mortar spill. Honestly this is appalling workmanship. Also Kiab's comment regarding not keying in the blockwork. Sorry! :eek:

16. Lkw82

Lkw82 Member

Thank you everyone for your help so far, much appreciated. Is the best course of action to take down the walls?

17. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

This pic suggests that some of this is old brickwork.

IMG-20161009-WA0009.jpg

The green bricks look old, the line of mastic suggests the original window cill line and what's with the cracking joints. :eek::eek:

Please tell me I'm wrong, otherwise they are building on what will almost certainly not be deep enough foundation's for the size and weight of what's now going up.

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I would hesitate to put a straight-edge or level anywhere, because I don't think there are any!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

19. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

And, if there is a damp course, the bricks below it are soft.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

20. Lkw82

Lkw82 Member

The bricks are old at the base, that is correct. The dwarf wall (which was a conservatory base) was left in place. I did raise concerns about this at the time as it seemed loose when the glass was removed. I was told it would be sorted but I now see that there is a crack where the old wall meets the new. The foundations were checked and confirmed as more than deep enough for new building as a solid roof was originally going to be put on when first built. The foundations were checked by Buildings Insp also so this is not a concern thankfully.

:(