Small extension in progress, worried about brickwork - poor?! Please help!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Lkw82, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Lkw82

Lkw82 Member

Yes we have said completely rebuilt using a proper brickie to a good standard and I will check the work every night. If there are any issues of poor workmanship then it's game over.

The only query I have is the local brickie who came round to give his opinion (as recommended by building inspector) said if he rebuilt it he wouldn't use the bricks again so would need new ones.

Is this the case? Wall is coming down in the next 48 hrs.

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I guess every brickie has his own way of working. Most important thing is that it is built correctly and safely!

Mr L likes this.
  3. It won't be a case of the bricks not being suitable for reuse as such - there's no structural reason why bricks cannot be reused. It'll be that they'll need a lot of cleaning up, clearing of mortar from the bonding surfaces and also cosmetically from some of the faces.

The firmness/dryness of the brick-laying mortar is also important, so it may also be that 'used' bricks will have the porosity of the bonding surfaces affected by the old mortar coating, so it could make the process a bit more unpredictable for the new brickie. That's chust a guess.

So it's either the extra work involved in cleaning them up for reuse, or else a pro being (possibly over) professional. A perfectionist/pedant/precious depending on your viewpoint... ;)

Bottom line is, you've made it completely clear what you'll now accept, so it doesn't really matter how the new brickie gets there as long as ithe work is of a high standard. Whether some poor soul has to sit there cleaning up hundreds of bricks or whether some poor soul (not you...) has to pay for new ones is a moot point.

And not for you to worry about.

Lkw82 likes this.
  4. Lkw82

Lkw82 Member

brickie been round this morning and seems to know what he is doing. Its all coming down today and then being fully rebuilt. I don't think we would have had the confidence or knowledge to push this further without all of your help so thank you everyone. Hopefully ill be able to post some pictures of a nice new (straight, well built) wall by this time next week!

:)

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Superb

Lkw82 likes this.
  6. Lkw82

Lkw82 Member

Take 2....new brickie...thoughts? Looks a lot better to us

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Fingers crossed things will be better 2nd time.:)

Keep us updated please.

8. Lkw82

Lkw82 Member

9. Lkw82

Lkw82 Member

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Looks much better!

What did the new brickie say when he saw the cowboy work?

11. Lkw82

Lkw82 Member

He was pretty shocked at how poor it was and confirmed all the same issues that the building inspector had so seems like he knows what he is doing! It is a million times better than before and he isn't rushing it so I feel much more confident

12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

So happy for you. It looks all good and proper now.

Lkw82 likes this.
  13. That is what's called...

A RESULT! :D

Lkw82 likes this.
  14. Lkw82

Lkw82 Member

I hope so although I have just noticed brick ties are only going in every 6 courses and around a window I thought it should be every 3 courses