Small holes in white membrane on roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by JB567, May 13, 2017.

1. JB567

JB567 Member

I have just been into the roof space and noticed there are two or three 1cm square holes in the white membrane below the roof tiles. What is the purpose of the membrane? Do I need to worry overly about the small holes, most are below the wooden battens.

Sorry if this is an obvious question!

I have attached an image.

IMG_1399.JPG

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The membrane is they as a second barrier against water ingres and is all so breathable.

If your tiles are in good order and no cracked or broken ones above where the holes are then you should have no problems at all, there will be thousands of houses with holes in the membrane and just as many with no membrane at all.

3. JB567

JB567 Member

Brilliant, I think it must of happened when they were doing the roof. You've put my mind at ease! Thanks!

4. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

Hi
    Just seen this post take a tip, don't ignore these holes you might not be getting any water in at present but water can drip in through these holes and if you have any fine snow fall and wind it can also blow in through these holes causing problems in the attic, many very old houses did not have and underfelt or lining but had cement fillets inside on the roof slate joins but this was not very successful as they mostly fell off after a few years hence the felt and more modern Tyvek system which is mostly used these days.
    What you really need to do is stick a repair patch over the hole rather like sticking a patch on a bike inner tube.
    They mostly use a water based animal natural glue to stick the patch on and by doing this you will be 100% certain of no future problems as water can find it's way in through some strange places. any tears or rips holes etc should be repaired by this method