Smart meters, latest government scam?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by seneca, Sep 12, 2014.

1. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Just been reading an article saying that smart meters will be costing the consumer around £215 per year and saving them just 3% per year over a 15 year period!

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi Sen,
    Can you share the link mate?
    I thought the idea was to save money!

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

FatHands likes this.
  4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Sorry, it's £215 over 15 years but here's the link with all the info.

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

over the next 15 years the savings will be far greater than the costs without any one reducing there consumption
    they should deduct the money already set aside to do the "normal" meter changes that would happen anyway but will now be smart meters
    they need to also factor in the wage cost saved with most meter readers not required when the gas meters follow suit

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Government's good at introducing things that we have to pay for though. Smart meters where the cost of installing them is passed on to us through higher bills. Energy saving schemes like the feed in tariffs for solar panels. Guess who pays the feed in tariffs? Yep, US, the consumers through higher bills. The energy companies pay the rebates to those with solar panels by charging us without them, more for the same bloody energy. Grrrrrrrr, makes my blood boil.

7. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Another fad! I wonder if the installers will be fitting isolators at the same time!

8. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

I wonder how many unemployed meter readers there will be when everyone has a smart meter? More benefits for the the tax payers to contribute towards.