"SMC Controller" This is an old type system

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Bob L, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Bob L

Bob L New Member

I'm trying to find a replacement controller pump, it's a myson 230v pump with 3 ports as shown here: [​IMG]

IMG_0397.JPG

The central heating is working but the controller pump keeps tripping the RCD when I plug it in, it's old and damaged, and I can't find a replacement anywhere. Any suggestions, not a plumber just trying be cost effective.

2. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

This is the old gas boards "guaranteed warmth" system, in it's day it was the most fuel efficient system that you could have (also the most expensive).

The pump was being sold on e-bay up to a few years ago still in new condition (worth a search).

A normal central heating pump could also be used with just a little modification to the pipework; however, it is worth paying over the odds to the right part.

Tappy,

PS I have the exact same system in my home!

Bob L likes this.
  3. Bob L

Bob L New Member

Thanks Tappy,

What kind of modification to the pipe work would be needed?

Regards
    BOB L

4. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Just replacing/copying those unions with 22mm copper fitting in a new tee leading to the new pump.
    You will have to take out that top gate valve to get the new pump in though.
    Tappy,

5. Steambod

Steambod New Member

Easiest thing is rip it out and replace with a tee as said above then stick a small pump to the cylinder. You could modify the system into a Y or S Plan with valves and moving the pump to the boiler side of the tee if you wanted.