Smoke and heat alarm

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kaned93, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

im currently in the middle of building a kitchen extension I understand I need a wired heat alarm and also wired smoke alarms throughout the house my question is where do the smoke alarms need to be.. downstairs I have 1 lounge and bathroom aswell as kitchen diner extension and upstairs I have 3 bedrooms with a small landing I have 10 year battery alarms thanks for the guidance in advance Kane.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Top landing, bottom hallway multi sensor alarms,bedrooms, they have optical and heat sensor to detect both smoke and heat, kitchen a heat alarm, nothing need in bathroom.

Look for a mains alarm with battery back, most are lithium & offer a 10 year life.

Only use Aico myself, they have radio link, so one sounds they all sound & no wiring to inter link them, so installation is eaiser.

Aico Ei2110e multi sensor alarm
    Aico Ei164e heat alarm

https://www.aico.co.uk/product/ei2110e-multi-sensor-fire-alarm/
    https://www.aico.co.uk/product/ei164e-heat-alarm/

And a guide here.

https://www.aico.co.uk/technical-support/choosing-alarm-sensor-types/

https://www.aico.co.uk/innovation-and-technology/radiolink-plus-technology/

FatHands likes this.
  3. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

That's great thanks do they need to be wired in series or can I bring them off existing junctions from the ring. House rewired when I moved in but didn't think about alarms also anything needed in lounge?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would definitely fit one in lounge,what with open fire/log burner, gas fire, & tv's were once a big cause of fires, but today you hear very little about them causing a fire.

As to wiring I will leave that to the sparks on here, I use to put in a seperate 6A circuit for smoke alarms, but I gave up sparking some years ago & regs have changed a lot in that time, so wouldn't want to give you wrong info.

5. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

Ok bud no problem thanks

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Prehaps is SF Pete lurking & reading this, he could move this thread to Electrican Talk, so the sparks can pick it up please.

7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Come off lighting circuit or new circuit from db if you run new circuit it will need notifying to Bc, you need to ask Bc about were you need alarms as some differ to specs me personally would just put top landing ,hall and kitchen,I had load off issues with smoke alarms with Bc ,and to be honest Bc are clueless especially after recent events

8. Sparkielev

Oh as said above use aico

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Here it's top landing,hallway, kitchen & lounge, havent bothered with bedrooms as top landing alarm makes enough racket to wake everybody.:)

10. Sparkielev

Just did bungalow loft conversion were I put top landing,hall,kitchen nothing on plans for anything else,it finished gets a call from customer Bc want smoke in every bedroom and lounge totally senseless as job finished and asking for 5 more smokes

11. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Do you have an intruder alarm fitted? If so, it is possible with some, to have them as part of that. Mine are wired in - smoke and heat, so they are DC powered from the mains with a battery back-up too - the sound from the in house sounder and keypads is enough. I do also have a couple of stand alone (historic) ones installed.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seem to be the trend today to have alarms in all bedrooms,but you got little sprogs then I can see the sense in having them in their bedrooms,especially if they found & played with matches.