sockets in lighting circuit ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by jordansparky1, Apr 9, 2015.

1. jordansparky1

jordansparky1 New Member

Hi there I'm a qualified electrician to 17th edition, I have a job on just now fitting lights and 2 13a sockets in a loft. Wiring for lights is there however no cable or outlet with 12 metres of the loft without causing havoc( not being lazy) I know there is probably no way round this but is there anyway I can put the 2 sockets on the lighting circuit without wiring into the existing ring ? Don't think it can be done just looking for an answer and if not I will wire into existing ring where possible.

eric the fish likes this.
  2. jordansparky1

jordansparky1 New Member

Anybody any suggestions ?

3. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Qualified electrician????

4. jordansparky1

jordansparky1 New Member

Yeah qualified ;) I know it's not best practice I'm not suggesting this is what I'm going to do but is there a way around this without taking it back to the consumer unit. I know more than likely that is what I will have to do or split the main ring and incorporate the 2 additional sockets :p

5. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

What are 2 13a sockets needed for ?
    RS

6. jordansparky1

jordansparky1 New Member

A computer at one side and printer at the other side thanks

7. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Assume 350 watts for pc and 50 watts for printer.
    5A 3 pins outlets and 3 pin plugtops.......
    Up to you what you do.....lol
    RS

FatHands likes this.
  8. jordansparky1

jordansparky1 New Member

I'm thinking betterr to wire into the ring mains but looking for an alternative, what do you suggest

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

What RS said would be the best way although there are plenty of 13a sockets on lighting circuits in lofts feeding TV aerial amps. and selv lights that have their transformer integral with a 13amp. plug so I don't really see a problem with it. Provided of course that the lighting circuit is protected by an appropriate fuse to protect the cable.

retiredsparks and FatHands like this.
  10. jordansparky1

jordansparky1 New Member

It's a new build house with a 10amp circuit breaker protected by an rcd, I was thinking of upgrading this to a 16amp bearing in mind the lighting cable is a 1.5mm so really 10 amp sounds good to me

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Why is it 10a rather than the usual 6a then. Are there a lot of lights? I definitely wouldn't fit 16 amp.!

12. jordansparky1

jordansparky1 New Member

Big house yeah not many lights on it as it's split between bottom and top. I'm thinking either just go into the ring or 5amp plug and sockets. Unless anyone has other ideas.

13. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

If sure this is a route to do this properly. Comes with experience. Any sockets in the Airing cupboard, or backing onto it? Any FCU in there on the socket circuit for boiler controls? A disused immersion feed, or an immersion feed adopted for just a Combi boiler? Walk in wardrobes?

Drop cable down a stud wall, notching the noggin, directly above a socket, and clip and fill.

Don't look for a bodge way. How soon before they're cold up there and invest in a heater!

14. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

To future proof, I think best to allow 750 watt for the PC incase anyone wants a serious gaming rig ;)

retiredsparks likes this.
  15. jordansparky1

jordansparky1 New Member

Thanks for the advice I sure know all these methods as I am a spark, none of the available :( looks like it's into the ring circuit as this is the only way possible :) unless a miracle happens:rolleyes: and I find an alternativ;):(

16. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

A 10A lighting circuit is perfectly normal.

jordansparky1 likes this.
  17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Surely you'll find a cable/socket in the bedroom below to spur from, run under floorboards and up through airing/immersion cupboard into the loft?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Fairly uncommon in a domestic environment though.

19. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

10A lighting circuit is NOT normal since most ceiling roses are rated at either 5 or 6 amp even though 559.6.1.6 says 16A that is only valid if all junction boxes are rated 16A and a ceiling rose is a special junction box.

Personally fitting a FCU
    with 3A fuse will remove the problem of some one using something which causes an overload and trips the lights and for a TV pre-amp I would not worry. If not already RCD protected then a RCD FCU with 3A fuse.

Where the problem lies is when some one does an EICR if they flag up the sockets on the lights then you could be asked to correct it FOC so is it really worth the chance? Since the 10A lighting circuit could also be flagged up then in this case I would be wary.

Yes I wired up lights on a three phase 16A supply using lighting track but that's not domestic and every plug had a 5A cartridge fuse in it. The plug was not listed in table 55.1 but I considered it was allowed under 553.1.5 (iii).

One way around the problem is if the paperwork states fitting sockets for loft lights that way although you know that is not what they will be used for you can claim they complied. Until amendment 3 often the loft was missed out with inspections. But it seems now we are required to inspect even if there is no easy assess.

FatHands likes this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

My nephew's serious gaming rig has a 1200w psu.:eek:

Welshdragon1 likes this.