Sockets in Metal Stud Wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Andy1989, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Andy1989

Andy1989 New Member

Hi,

I installing some stud wall in a garage to workshop conversion, and i could do with a little advice about how to install electrical sockets.

Im constructing 50mm steel stud walls, which will be filled with 50mm rigid insulation and covered with 12.5mm plasterboard. I plan on just fixing the sockets and cable trunking to the surface of the wall rather than hiding it in the wall. This is my first time building stud walls so I though this would simplify thing a lot, and I could easily move socket if needed.

My main question is how to I attach the sockets to the wall? Iv used drywall plugs before for hanging mirrors and small shelves. Are these suitable, or would they just pull out over time?

Ideally Id like to fit a few timber noggins between the vertical studs to fix the sockets to (and may by some shelves), but the lip on the studs would mean they wouldn't be flush with the plaster board. Any suggestion?

Also just how strong is a steel stud wall? Can I safely fit heavy shelf to one that is just fixed to the floor and ceiling?

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Anyone for earthing the studs?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Bonding do u mean, it's surface wiring in trunking!