Soil pipe backing up

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jloconnor, Sep 28, 2016.

1. jloconnor

jloconnor New Member

We moved into our house a few weeks ago. 1950's brick built semi. Cast iron soil pipe running through garage roof and into concrete slab.

We had water leaking out of soil stack joints a couple of weeks ago. Inspection chamber outside back door you could see waste squeezing out of the pipe. Ended up getting it jetted from above to clear it after rods wouldn't shift it and was then flowing ok. Noticed today a drainy smell. Lifted the chamber lid and again waste is squeezing out the pipe. I'm thinking the issue is either the fall in horizontal pipe from soil stack to inspection chamber (circa 6ft) or else some issue at the joint under the concrete slab maybe a tight bend or water leaking out there and therefore not 'flushing away' the waste. Not had any issues with toilet backing up at all.

Any ideas/thoughts. Don't want to keep paying for it flushing. Not sure if it's worth an expensive cctv survey or will I need to dig up concrete slab to look at the joint?

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

As well as jetting it - did the company put any rods down there ?

By rodding it you will get any residual debris / blockage out and also feel for any obstruction or tight bends. You need to rod from both directions. If you do bump into an obstruction note mark the rod pipes and this will give you a measure where the obstruction is is

If you want to try it yourself a cheap set like this will do http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-drain-rod/191010_BQ.prd

just don't force it past any obstruction

3. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

You say the soil pipe passes through the garage roof and the inspection chamber is outside the back door. Does that mean the soil pipe travels under the foundation of the garage? Was the garage added later?

4. jloconnor

jloconnor New Member

I bought some rods and did this myself before I got the company out (I had good access as I ended up replacing the old lead pipe from the toilet to the soil stack). I was able to get a long way down from above and right along from the inspection chamber but not round the corner if that makes sense. It was definitely completely clear so the waste now coming out is recent rather than old stuff in the pipe. It is as if there isn't enough pressure or something to get the waste down pat the inspection chamber to the main sewers.

5. jloconnor

jloconnor New Member

I think the garage might have been added later (maybe 1970's). It comes through the flat garage roof then into the concrete. It then runs about 6ft along under the concrete and out into an inspection chamber. I think the soil pipe and the drains etc are original to the house though as they match many of the surrounding houses

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pipe might have dropped on the joint (s), need to run a drain inspection camera up the pipe run & have a nosey, pointless jetting.
    Can get get a firm in who will do that, or you can hire the camera from a lot of hire shops.
    Last one I hire was about £70 a day.