Soil Pipe Under Ground Floor Floorboards

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by benben5555, Jul 26, 2016.

1. benben5555

benben5555 Member

I'm going to run the soilpipe from the upstairs bathroom internally then for about 2.5m under the floorboards in the kitchen to the outside. My question is how do I secure the soil pipe under the floor? Does it need to be bedded on concrete? Bedded on gravel? Clipped to the joists somehow? Cheers

2. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You can buy 110mm munstun type ring brackets then stick threaded rods in them, probably use a rubber strap around the soil pipe to avoid contraction noises, also it needs a fall.

4. Yup - don't forget the fall... :)

5. benben5555

benben5555 Member

Thanks, basically it needs to be suspended then. Presume the rest bend still needs supporting somehow?

6. Suspended/supported - what's the difference?

Read up an t'net about how often 4" horizontal soil pipe needs supporting, and follow this - I guess it'll be every metre or so?

I think I'd probably cut timber battens around a foot long, and trim them to thicknesses to suit the fall, slip them under, and fasten the pipe to them with normal plastic clips.

Or, if you have spare - oooh - 4x2, then the first one can be the full 4" thick, sitting on its edge. For the next one, mark down an inch (or whatever is recommended) and then use a 4" fitting to draw a crescent curve down to touching that mark. Use a jigsaw to cut that crescent out - instant pipe support. The next one will be 2" deep crescent. Get the idea?

Or, support them from under the joists using the strapping mentioned before - that should be dead easy to set to the right drops.

Yes, the rest bend will need proper supporting or there's the risk of it slipping off the vertical pipe!

If the ground is damp, put some DPC under the timber, and probably best to use tanalised timber anyway (or brush on some wood treatment.)

Actually, the strapping is probably the best idea...