Soil Pipe Vent. Pics included. Advice needed

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by koolpc, Jun 23, 2016.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Guys

I have the bathroom soil pipe as shown in the pics going up the wall on the outside of the house but within a 'roofed' part of an extension. It is an open area. Do i need to fit more pipe so that the 'vent' goes out and above the small extension? Its a bungalow, or can i buy something to fit on the top of the pipe that will meet the right regs?

The pipe was like this when we bought the house but hoping to sell and wondering if surveyor will pick up on this?

Cheers
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

If your connected into the a mains sewer system, or if you have another vented soil pipe on your property simply fit an air admittance valve suitable for external situations. They simply plug into the top of the soil pipe and there would be no need to extend the soil pipe.

I got a FloPlast one for my house, about 30 quid

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Probably not ideal as its kind of in an enclosed area where you could be eating :eek:

The only mention i can see is that it has to vent 900mm above any opening within 3m of the building .

I think I would leave it, it may be that the new owners may knock the shelter down :oops:

Its only a small amount of work to fit an AAV.

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

air admittance valve, ok, that sounds ideal.

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yes in grey color.

part - AX110G

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That would work, dont know where the vent on top has been solvent welded or not may have just been pushed on.

amy need to put on silicone grease on rubbers when fitting the AAV.

9. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

An as I said you need to be connected to the mains sewer system or have another vented soil pipe. Otherwise methane will build up in the sewer system...

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Its an ordinary soil pipe which leads into the drain inspection chamber in the sewage system in the street

11. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Maybe I'm missing something here...

But surely an air admittance valve is not the answer. The whole purpose of this pipe is to let (foul) air out. Not to let air in.
    Or is that not the case?

I'm just curious!

(I'm DIY, not trade by the way!)

Regards,

Cando.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

13. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

If that video was for my benefit, thanks Jitender... I can understand that air needs to get in to the pipe, to allow flushing, but, given that this is a bungalow, surely the (foul) air still needs to get out. That's why I can't understand an air admittance valve, on it's own, being suitable.

Am I wrong?

Regards,

Cando

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looks like it will open if there is high build up of pressure.

A book I have says as long as 1 in every 5th house in a row of terraces has to have a standard stack ventilating and limited to 3 storey dwellings.

15. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Still unsure what to do. Thinking of putting a couple of 90 degree elbows on pipe and taking it out and up.

16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

In the end i cut a hole in the side panel and extended the pipe out and up! Its slightly above gutter level now in fresh air!