Soil pipe/waste pipe leak

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Kyle Brunskill, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Kyle Brunskill

Kyle Brunskill New Member

Hi

I have recently purchased a house a found leak on my internal soil pipe where the the waste pipe from my kitchen sink hits the soil pipe boss under my kitchen counter. It appears the previous occupants have connected a 40mm pipe directly into the boss but have not sealed it.

My question really is, what method is the best to seal it? the waste pipe itself is easily removed from the soil pipe and the closest boss that matches mine that I could find is as follows:

http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/polypipe-boss-pipe-double-socket-40mm-solvent-110mm-grey.html

Any help or advice anyone could help would be very useful as I am a complete novice.

2. Kyle Brunskill

Hi,

There is no rubber gasket, but the boss has a ridge where it meets the waste pipe, I was thinking it may have held an o ring at some point but I'm not sure.

Attached is a picture where they tried to deal it with silcone and a rubber washer.

3. That is not a very good picture.

In fact, that is not a picture... :p

How much gap is there betwixt the pipe and the inside of the boss sleeve? 5mm-ish? More?

Just get one of them rubber doo-dahs and stick it on yer shaft and you'll be happy. And you'll stop dripping.

Ease it on - if necessary - with a smear of washing-up liquid.

4. Kyle Brunskill

Yeah I've just noticed it didn't upload. I'll try the gasket. Thanks very much for your help!

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Could it be a solvent weld boss and hence no strap or rubber bung ?

Poorly fitted and now leaking or incompatible 40mm pipe used with solvent weld boss ?

6. If Kyle buys a gasket and tries to squeeze it in to a 0.1mm gap, I think he'll come back.

And might even answer my "How much gap is there betwixt the pipe and the inside of the boss sleeve? 5mm-ish? More?" question... :)

7. Kyle Brunskill

sorry for the late reply. I haven't tried to squeeze in a gasket as I'm not confident it would fit and I'm unsure the gap between the waste and the soil. In the meantime I've just patched it up with a bit more silicone until I can find a permanent solution. It still leaks but not as heavily.

Here's the pick of the soil pipe:

waste pipe.jpg

Any advise anyone can give would be much appreciated!

Thanks Gents

8. Eh?! What's that black ring? Isn't that a gasket already fitted?

Have you tried taking the pipe and gasket out? If so, what does it look like?

I see what you mean by that bulging ring - that does suggest an O-ring of some sort.

Soz - my knowledge of these fittings is very limited - PLUMBERS?!!!

Wait a minute - is that black ring loose?
    Can it slide up the pipe? I mean - is that the bludy ring that should be inside that boss...?!

9. Kyle Brunskill

The black ring is a washer like rubber ring that looks like it's from an s bend fitting that slides up and down the waste pipe.

I've taken the waste pipe out before resealing it with a little silicone and the waste pipe itself just slides in and out, hence the leak. There's no visible evidence of any other seal other than silicone and the ridge itself within the waste pipe has no gasket or o ring.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There should be a rubber 'O' ring inside that plastic boss. I think it has lost, do you know the make of the fitting i.e OSMA, poly plum etc?

11. Kyle Brunskill

I have no idea :(

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

How much is the waste pipe going into the stack, it should pass the internal stack by about 10mm. I think you have solvent weld pipe (ABS) which has a larger outside diameter than push fit pipe..

Pipe.jpg

13. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Wrap some denso tape tightly round it.

14. Kyle, please confirm there is no way that the black ring belongs inside that boss, sitting in the groove? Or does it?

It surely cannot be solvent - there'd be no need for that groove 'bulge'?

Anyways, that gasket I mentioned earlier, I see no way that's gonna fit - I think it's clear it isn't that type of fitting.

So, it's either solvent (which I doubt) or 'push-fit' with an O ring inside. Which looks plausible.

If there is a groovy ridge inside that boss that'll take an 'O' ring - either a round profile or flat - then surely to gawd that's what it needs. Can you tell us what shape the groove slot is, Kyle - half-round or rectangular?

Or denso :).

I guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
  15. meady

meady Member

That black rubber washer should be inside the grove of the boss pipe, not outside. Take the pipe out fit the washer in the grove, make sure the end of the pipe is filed off, grease it up and push the pipe back in.

16. ... provided that is the O ring for that fitting...