Solid floor onto ply and insulation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by edmundreardon, Feb 28, 2015.

1. edmundreardon

edmundreardon New Member

Solid floor onto ply and insulation
    I have dug Out the ground floor to be replaced with a timber floor and insulation, and with more head room. What do you think about doing away with tons of concrete/screed and using following construction; Undisturbed compact subsoil Inch of sand dead level Dpm 3 or 4 inch pu insulation 18 mm shuttering ply Tiling spline glued and screwed Pine solid floorboards, no t and g, nailed with 60 mm floor brads

Basicly a 65mm thick solid floating floor.

2. No pressure, lads - we're up against 'mybuilder.com'...

3. Edmund, this is chust a guess, but I reckon this falls neatly into one of these "Will I get away with it?" type scenarios, where the answer is quite possibly "Yes."

But, is it right...?

Would the BCO take you out and give you a good metaphorical kicking?

4. edmundreardon

edmundreardon New Member

Sorry about the accidental link to competing forums. I've posted this on a few places. Basicly trying to find any good reasons not to do it like this. None have been given yet. The only reason i can think of to have a slab, is to prevent vermin from tunneling up if they have managed to get under the foundations. I assume there is something else that i haven't thought of. BCO aren't involved.