Solid oak or veneer for internal doors?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by baw, Jul 20, 2014.

1. baw

baw New Member

Hi, I'm replacing 4 internal doors and would appreciate some advice on whether to get solid or veneered oak doors. Obviously, the veneered oak is much cheaper, but the doors are going to need adjusting to size and I know there's a limit to how much you can cut off a veneered door. I'd have to buy the standard 1981mm height, but they'd have to be trimmed, at the smallest door, to 1940mm. Is that too much to trim off a veneered door? I suspect so, in which case solid oak would be needed. The concern I have about that, is that I know they're very heavy and need 3 hinges, but I'm not replacing the pine frames, so would that mean having to chase out 3 new hinge areas, or would a carpenter use the original two and then add a third? I don't want the frames to have loads of gaps, as even though I'm painting them it's look a mess. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

you have to be so carefull what seems like solid oak can still be oak veneer on a wood core
    descriptions like "solid timber with selected light oak for a traditional finnish" can be veneered finish

unless it says " made from solid oak" it wont be

3. Supra

Supra Member

We have oak veneer doors and the outer frame of the doors are solid oak, the panels are veneer. They were purchased from B and Q a few years ago.

They obviously expect you to plane them down to fit to some extent, we did. Just ask them at the place where they're for sale.

I'm sure a carpenter would use the rebates already made in the frame and add another.

4. Baw. You really need to enquire of each manufacturer how much their door can be safely trimmed.

Having said that, even 'hollow' veneered doors - ones that have solid rails on the outside edges only to a certain depth and have some sort of corrugated filling for the rest of the internals - can be trimmed beyond the recommended amount by a decent joiner; they just remove the solid timber rail and reset in inside the door edge after it's been trimmed down.

After all, you don't see the top or bottom edges.

I presume you are not planning to fit these doors yourself? In which case, I would find the joiner first and have a chat; you should soon work out the ones up to tackling this job and how best to go about it.

"Much cheaper?" Too darned right - a solid oak door will cost you an armie and a legie.

(And sorting out the existing frame for extra hinges is absolutely the least of your troubles - that's bread an' butter stuff for joiners.)

5. baw

baw New Member

That's great, thanks for taking the time to reply.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

B&Q Tradepoint have a sale on their 4 panel oak veneer shaker doors (£42 exe). In my experience veneer doors are more stable due to their laminated construction.

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Unless the doors are in excess of £500 a piece they will not be solid oak. The only exception being ledged and braced ones

They may have solid oak lippings and beads but the core of the door will be chipboard, occasionally blockboard or occasionally MDF then veneered, or laminated up softwood veneered.

Nothing wrong with it at all. Even mortice and tenon doors are usually a bit like a softwood door with the m&t then veneered.

8. Dan1212

Dan1212 New Member

9. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I made this outside door for the bro a few years back....
    [​IMG]

The frame is solid mahogany joined by dominoes. The panels are wbp ply sandwiched between t&g mahogany boards glued solid to the ply. Theres always a question mark over using dominoes on a big beefy door like that. Traditionalists will always opt for tenons.
    Plenty of joinery companies around who will make you genuine solid wood doors. (with tenons)

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What's this?

Ryuler.jpg

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's a spinning wheel.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Wry must be doing Sleeping Beauty.

13. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

That's an English Saxony spinning wheel I made from a chunk of mahogany.
    [​IMG]

Jitender likes this.
  14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I had to make one of those fly once.

15. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Sisters partner is having his doors made by a local joinery works.
    The timber is Ash and consists of 7 solid planks vertical. With a 10mm x 8 mm square groove at the joints. Six tenons will be horizontal to hold them together.