Solid Wood Flooring > Concrete Subfloor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Paul-TheNovice, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Paul-TheNovice

Paul-TheNovice New Member

Hello,

I have purchased some solid wood flooring and plan to put it in down in my living room on my concrete subfloor. I have checked and the moisture level is well below acceptable levels.

Having never done this before but researched quite a bit i am confused on a few parts:

1: Do i need to put down a liquid DPM here on the concrete before i glue the boards?
    2: I have read the i should have the tongue point away from the wall but in another place i read for glue direct to concrete it should be facing the wall.
    3: Do i need to glue the grooves in the boards ?

The Floor is - http://www.nagleflooring.co.uk/product_18x125mm-Handscraped-Smoked-Oak_349_index.php

Thank you for your feedback!

Adam

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

My bio did this recently with 18mm engineered oak. Not sure which was the tongue or groove pointed.
    He glued it direct to gypsum based screed.

3. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Sika bond is a name you might consider. Put the wooden floor straight onto the concrete subfloor. Use the sausages in an applicator. The sika bond remains elastic and will allow you a bit of wiggle room.

You should never do this job with the skirts on so ensure that you have the area prepared, swept clean and hoovered and all skirts off. Door architraves can be cut as you work around. Careful how you knock one piece of wood into another. Too enthusiastic with the mallet and it can knock the whole thing out of square.

Make sure that you get a reasonable square line to start. In an older house it's highly unlikely that the rooms will be square or the walls parallel, so think on.

Avoid using trowelled bonding it's a right mess or at least it is when I use it.

You might consider giving the job to a floor layer. The job is not as easy as your would suppose and he will make a good job and tidy up when completed.