Solid wood kitchen worktop

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by jones.gareth, Aug 23, 2015.

1. jones.gareth

jones.gareth New Member

Hi

I'm about to install some solid walnut worktops and I'm unsure how to deal with the overhang at the front of the units. The base units including doors have a width of 590mm and the worktops are 620mm. This leaves an overhang of 30mm. Is this normal or do I remove some material from the back of the worktop? The run is approx 9m so it would mean quite a lot of cutting if it was needed. Like to know what the normal approach from any experienced kitchen fitters. Is 30mm acceptable and usual?

Many thanks for any advice
    Gareth

2. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

That is a large overhang. What brand is the worktop and where is it from? Remember that a wooden top should not be fitted tight to the wall - leave a 3mm gap for expansion. Ideally you could have fitted the units away from the wall a bit. A 20mm overhang on the doors is common enough. Are you going to router a profile onto the front of the tops?

3. jones.gareth

jones.gareth New Member

Thanks metrokitchens. The units have been installed tight to the walls. Leaving the expansion gap will increase the overhand making it more like 32/32mm. I wasn't going to profile the tops but it may lessen the appearance. Don't really fancy removing 15mm from the back. Could be done though I suppose to make it look better. I'm not sure of the worktop brand.

4. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

It's not an overly large overhang, most good quality worktops are 616mm deep so it's only 4mm more than a normal worktop.

jones.gareth likes this.
  5. Garry, what does it look like?

'Cos that's all that matters.

Mind you, that is a larger overhang than normal. 620mm is deeper than 'standard', and perhaps it's intended for trimming down to suit the variety of unit depths out there - although most tend to be pretty standard.

If you have a circular saw, then trimming them down chust ain't an issue. If you don't, then it's more work.

jones.gareth likes this.
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You seem to have 3 options, move the base units, trim the top or leave it as it is. You skill levels, tools and taste will tell you what to do if you don't want to pay someone to do this simple job.

CGN likes this.
  7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If it looks ok to you then it is ok. I fitted some a few weeks back that overhung a tad more than usual. They looked good....customer happy...job done.

jones.gareth likes this.
  8. jones.gareth

jones.gareth New Member

Thanks everyone... Think I'll take the extra off the back just to even it up.
    CGN is right "if it looks ok". Simple answer is it doesn't. Your eye is drawn to it. Decision made. Thanks again

9. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

right choice my friend. bit of extra work now - many years of enjoyment of your craftsmanship.

jones.gareth likes this.
  10. Personally, I'd go for Chippy's first option - move the units out a tad. Especially if there are any exposed appliances going under the tops.

All it takes is a rail along t'back.

11. jones.gareth

jones.gareth New Member

It's a bit late now as all the base units are fitted. Worktops were delivered 2 weeks later as they weren't available, hence I didn't know the size of the overhang. Good option for future though.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It doesn't take much work to move a base unit

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

One base unit maybe.

A row leading to a corner and another row, hmmm, bit more to it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really