Solid wood or veneered front door?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mgbgt2, Nov 9, 2012.

1. mgbgt2

mgbgt2 New Member

I need to replace a front door and frame that will last for many years.  Needs to be wood to match nearby hardwood window frames. Its exposed to the sun (in a corner) and rain

I believe that "engineered" laminated construction is more stable and less likely to warp and shrink than solid wood but will a wood veneer finish stand up to the sun and rain over a long period?  Either way I would finish with Sikkens products.

Solid wood is at least twice the price on quotes I have had so far.  I prepared to pay the extra but only if I can be sure it will not start warping in a couple of years.

What would you do?

2. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    go for the solid one, if it has been made well then it shouldn't warp make sure its hung well too i very rarely come a cross a solid harwood door that has moved so much that it has warped, its true though that laminated doors are more stable but i would be a little worried at the veneer too!!
    what ever you do don't get one of them plastic bags of cr@p yeah yeah the don't need painting but, really have you seen one up close? minging!

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I had a engineered wooden door last year. It was made up as a door set i.e pre hanged in its frame, not cheap just under a grand. A day after the fitters put it in it started bowing on the edge and I had to get the plane out to make adjustments. Best thing to do is allow door and frame to acclamatise to is environment - so buy the door and frame well in advanced. Make sure you paint all the edges. Get a M+T (mortice and tennon) constructed door rather than the dowelled versions if going for a solid door.

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

All timber doors, engineered or solid can warp and move, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it, when I do bespoke doors I do them all 55mm thick out of top top quality hardwood to minimise movement. Last door and frame I did the sawn utile for it alone came in at £500+. You will get as good results in my opinion with a decent engineered as a decent m+t. Frame will not move if properly secured. Main issue is correctly finishing the door. I would get several coats on before the door even gets hung, front and back. If you can hold off until next summer to do it unless its in a porch. If its raining give up.

5. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes New Member

6. I got one of them - the door was great, the price awesome, but the postage was over £5k.

7. JimGagnepain

JimGagnepain New Member

Front_Door.jpg
    Look on Craig's List. We found a solid wood entry door, almost brand new, for about 1/10 of the original price.

Here's a picture of the proprietor looking out:
    Peekaboo_Front_Door.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Fit a PVC door. No painting and no warping and a lifetime guarantee.
    Have a look through this image gallery...
    http://www.mcmullanodonnell.com/gallery/view/7/standard-panel-doors

And I know people who cannot tell their oak effect pvc products from real oak!
    10 years down the line if you notice the slightest fault occurring these guys will be on your doorstep before you drop the phone and replace the entire unit FOC.
    That's how that company along with their product has evolved.
    How many wood guys do you know who would do that?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015