Solvite paste.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Ghost-1, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Mixed a batch of solvite paste up, for super fresco wallpaper, nothing special about the paper......or so I thought.
    I did notice after a short while the paste kept needing a stir, as it was going watery? Anyway, only hung 1 roll of paper, and had to fight with it to get the edges to stay down. Got the hump with it and left it for an hour to see what it looked like.
    Carried on with another job outside.......came in after about an hour, to find 1 sheet had totally came away and was mostly on the floor, and the rest looked shocking, full of big BIG bubbles that no way on earth would shrink back.

Lost my rag and ripped the lot down........it's now in the black bin bag by the bin.
    Going to change the wallpaper, for a vinyl and hopefully have better luck.

Why??

The walls are painted lining paper, which I had sized. It almost like the solvite paste just wasn't up to it??
    Never had a problem with solvite before.

Sorry for the moan, but I'm sick of this decorating mullarky now.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't get me going on Solvite paste.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Something has been changed in Solvite paste.:mad:

Used some last month, mixed it, left a couple of hours in a seal tub, & it had gone all watery:(.
    Stuck the lining paper ok, but the Superfresco Paintable wallpaper, had me pulling out what hair I have left.
    Even though the wall was sized, paper wouldn't stick at the edges, also some lengths would sneakily come away from the wall when your back was turned, despite being on the wall 5 or 10 minutes.:eek:

3. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

And there's me blaming my hanging skills.

I can hang paper, never really had a problem, but wasn't sure if it was the paper,paste or my work. Glad to know that it isn't me. I've just changed the paper for a vinyl, and will buy some ready mixed paste and see how I get on with that.

Cost so far, 1 roll of super fresco paper, and 1/2 day fecking about trying to get it to stay up.

I was going for browny points with the wife as well, but that's turned into a face on her.

FatHands likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I wonder, does Solvite have a use by date?

5. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Nothing on my bag? Only got it yesterday from Bn poo. "Extra strong all purpose"

Going to try the ready mixed "Dial" stuff tomorrow.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I remember the solvite adverts way back in the 1970's when they pasted a bloke onto the front of a train with it !:eek: The most recent packet I purchased came with a free staple gun :D

FatHands likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Something is happening in the world of wallpaper adhesive no matter what brand it is it does not stick like older mixes of paste, I preferred LAP paste but that has been discontinued although old stock still available on flee bay.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I remember Solvite 20+ years ago, it would stick anything.:rolleyes:

9. Boolay

Boolay Member

Albany ready mixed paste is very good

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ghost-1 and Astramax like this.
  11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good point DIYDave, always pays to go over the emulsion with abrasive paper to help provide a key also a wash over with sugar soap solution to clean off any muck is a good idea.

12. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

As far as I remember, it was just lining paper (lined years ago) and Matt emulsion.

I sized it just before I started though?? But I've always sized just before, rather than day before as some suggest??

Remember this?

Nowadays, it wouldn't even hold the boiler suit.

FatHands likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Remember this ad!

14. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

I know that feeling well Ghost! ;)

15. jabvent

jabvent New Member

I was thinking about Solivite but I 'm glad I saw your post first. Sorry to see it fail you so badly. I have the extra challenge of it needing to work outdoors. I need to do exterior paste ups of artwork. Does anyone have suggestions for pasting up blue back prints outside? I wonder which glue billboard posters /advertising workers use? Street artists often use wheat paste. I found a clip of Shepherd Fairey which is quite amusing: He was on a tight budget back then but suggests adding this intriguing acrylic polymer for a stronger bond at 7:46 in the clip: https://www.jacksonsart.com/golden-soft-gel-mediums. Good to know what you think. This product is pricey.